Need for additional floor support on trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Need for additional floor support on trailer?

Postby Katie&Craig » Sat May 20, 2006 12:21 am

I have a question about floor overhang. We just bought a 4 x 8 HF trailer so we could get moving on the build. Our floor is going to be 5 X 8'4" wth the tires inset partially. I know the 2" overhang front and back shouldn't be a problem, but what about the 6" overhang on each side?

Initially we were going to weld together a trailer, but our welding guru is ill, so no welding lessons. In the initial design, we had 6 " strips of metal welded to the frame that would support the floor (sorry no sketch, but imagine the crossbeams and front and back frame members sticking out past the side rails by 6" on each side.

In the interest of time and sanity I would like to do without the extra floor supports, but also don't want to do something unsafe. If it seems like a good idea we will buy the steel and bolt the extra supports onto the HF frame.

FYI - the floor will be a sandwich of 1/2" ply top, 1X2 framing + insulation, 1/4" ply bottom.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks,
Katie
Katie&Craig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sat May 20, 2006 12:32 am

I would certainly add the supports...all of your weight (except for the floor) will be on the edges of the floor and it is being very risky not to...especially when adding the supports is such an easy/quick/cheap thing to do......JMNSHO
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Sat May 20, 2006 5:10 pm

madjack wrote:I would certainly add the supports...all of your weight (except for the floor) will be on the edges of the floor and it is being very risky not to...especially when adding the supports is such an easy/quick/cheap thing to do......JMNSHO
madjack 8)

I think if the floor is bolted to the frame in the middle as well as the sides, being a sandwich construction, the 6" overlay shouldn't be a problem...... but then, I haven't built a tear yet....... :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby AmyH » Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Katie, I have a 6" overhang on my trailer as well. I went ahead and welded on supports. I'll try to get more pics up tomorrow night, so you can see how I did it.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Katie&Craig » Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Madjack, John & Amy -
Darn - I was hoping to get away with a little less work, but that probably isn't a good idea when it comes to the trailer. I thought the floor would distribute the weight enough, and it might, but it has been a really long time since I have built anything.

Amy- It would be great to see pictures of how you are working this out. Unfortunately we aren't planning on welding our frame anymore, but bolting on the extra supports should work since the rest of the trailer is bolted together. Also, thanks for referring me to Six Robblees - they were extremely helpful and provided us with lots of info about the torsion axle. Still haven't made up my mind as to whether to buy it or try to work something else out (another post), but if we do, we will buy from them (the cost of shipping from elsewhere makes up the difference in price from them).

Katie
Katie&Craig
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets