'67 Chevy Pickup Bed VS Harbor Freight Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

'67 Chevy Pickup Bed VS Harbor Freight Trailer

Postby ChaseLounge » Sat May 20, 2006 11:01 am

We were given a 1967 Chevy Pickup bed trailer, and have removed the bed. This was free of charge. It is approximately 6' wide, which we like.

The only problem is, the pickup was rear-wheel drive and the axle is huge and heavy. I will need to replace the axle and wheels (because they are tube tires).

We can get a 48"x96" trailer from Harbor Freight for $199.99 with no shipping because we live only 30 miles from Springfield and can pick it up.

(1) Any suggestions on which would be the better option?

(2) And, if we get the 48" wide trailer, can the teardrop extend 6 inches on each side of the trailer, making it 5 feet wide?
Building Our First Teardrop
ChaseLounge
Donating Member

Re: '67 Chevy Pickup Bed VS Harbor Freight Trailer

Postby Joanne » Sat May 20, 2006 11:42 am

Hi CL,

I started with a boat trailer that required extensive rebuilding in order for it to work for my tear (at least the way I wanted it to work). After cutting apart the trailer and rewelding it, buying new parts to rebuild the hubs and springs, and replacing the coupler, I think I would have been better off starting from scratch. :shock: I should have sold the boat trailer and used the money to by parts for the camping trailer.

A number of people have built on smaller and newer boat trailers that didn't require nearly the amount of work mine did, so for them it was a great decision. Mine really needed more work and parts than it was worth.

Can you start with a pickup bed trailer? Sure. Is it going to be the cheapest and most time efficient? Doubtful.

If it were me, I'd keep the pickup bed trailer for a utility trailer and start with something new for the tear.

Just my .02 worth.

Joanne

ChaseLounge wrote:We were given a 1967 Chevy Pickup bed trailer, and have removed the bed. This was free of charge. It is approximately 6' wide, which we like.

The only problem is, the pickup was rear-wheel drive and the axle is huge and heavy. I will need to replace the axle and wheels (because they are tube tires).

We can get a 48"x96" trailer from Harbor Freight for $199.99 with no shipping because we live only 30 miles from Springfield and can pick it up.

(1) Any suggestions on which would be the better option?

(2) And, if we get the 48" wide trailer, can the teardrop extend 6 inches on each side of the trailer, making it 5 feet wide?
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby riverfront » Sat May 20, 2006 11:47 am

The question about 4' to 5' is one I have been asking and it seems it is dooable but the trailer you want to get is the 8" wheel version and the one I am talking about is the 12" - I am not the expert here but it would seem to me that the 12" wheel version, that is on sale till next weekend at $249.99 is more in what will work!

You will spend more than $249 modifying the truck bed trailer!

There were pic's arround here of someone doing the 4 to 5 but I can't find them now!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Guys,
Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight sell 5x8' trailers. I will ecko Joanne's advice to start fresh if you can. By the time you buy axles and tires and get someone to weld the hangers you may be cheaper. My pop-up will be almost 3 times as expensive to build (6x8'. I'm going 5' tall too). Smaller is not practical or comfortable for us.

Make a cardboard model if you want to see what it is really like. Surround your bed if you can find enough cardboard and leave it more than one night. You may like the cozyness.

If you build over read all the build decriptions and look at all the pictures you can find. Advice is great but pictures help almost as much.

PS-if you are using the Benroy plans and build over~~~don't cut the frame back. 8) :lol:

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 20, 2006 1:54 pm

riverfront wrote:The question about 4' to 5' is one I have been asking and it seems it is dooable but the trailer you want to get is the 8" wheel version and the one I am talking about is the 12" -
You will spend more than $249 modifying the truck bed trailer!

There were pic's arround here of someone doing the 4 to 5 but I can't find them now!

Didn't catch that. I think you want the bigger frame if you are building over. Remember you will be using more wood and have more weight. For a 4x8 you have 2 sheets of ply (any size) on the side and for 5x8 you will still have the 4' x 8' and same 4' height but your top will be 5' not four. In practicality you will use your ply across and loose 3 feet off every sheet. (use it for cabinetts) You will have more spars and they will be longer. Your floor will use 2 times the amount of materials. You will also have a 5' galley. That extra wood weighs when you add it up. I think I figured an extra 1' x18 ft just to go over. Then the floor.

Someone please correct if whacky
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby asianflava » Sat May 20, 2006 2:31 pm

I agree with Joanne, you can do it but will it be worth it?

Not only will you have to replace the axle, the frame isn't flat. Your trailer floor will be the same height as the tailgate when it is open.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Sun May 21, 2006 1:43 pm

I was lucky enough to start my trailer seach with my mechanic.............since I trusted him so much with my vehicles then I thought he could answer some questions for me about a trailer purchase.

I lucked out because he had a 5x8 motorcycle trailer he was selling with 13" tires. He agreed to move the axle and take off the side rails at no extra charge.

I pick up the trailer Monday and need to clean it up a little before painting it.

My project has officially begun!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun May 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Barb,

That's awesome! What a great way to start your project. It sounds like it will be a perfect frame to build a trailer on. I'm a fan of the wider trailers since they have more room.

Joanne

b.bodemer wrote:I was lucky enough to start my trailer seach with my mechanic.............since I trusted him so much with my vehicles then I thought he could answer some questions for me about a trailer purchase.

I lucked out because he had a 5x8 motorcycle trailer he was selling with 13" tires. He agreed to move the axle and take off the side rails at no extra charge.

I pick up the trailer Monday and need to clean it up a little before painting it.

My project has officially begun!

Barb
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 21, 2006 5:18 pm

:applause: :thumbsup:
Congradulations Barb, (Can I have your mechanic. )
Get er done! ;)
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Leon » Sun May 21, 2006 7:51 pm

I built from scratch and the frame cost me $300, it's a 5x10 and it was designed that way not modified to work. I wouldn't waste the time with the pickup frame.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Sun May 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Pickup frame may be a good thing. You can get a minivan rear axle at a Pull-A-Part to replace the big, heavy pickup axle/differential; you can probably even get an axle with wheels on it (maybe brakes too if you want to go that far) or an axle out from under, say, a Taurus wagon. Those are "trailer" axles.

Or you could reassemble the pickup bed for a utility trailer and spend money and time modifying the 4x8s to fit your (bigger) dreams.

Time and money are the limiting factors. If you have enough time you can save some money by looking for unconventional sources.

Do you know a good welder?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:33 pm

asianflava wrote:I agree with Joanne, you can do it but will it be worth it?

Not only will you have to replace the axle, the frame isn't flat. Your trailer floor will be the same height as the tailgate when it is open.

Ya, but you'd have great lumbar support.......
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jagular7 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:39 am

Like others have suggested, it's not only the drivetrain that is heavy, it's also the frame. The frame is/was also design to handle loads, both carrying and torque, with the full frame design, thus the geometry and wall thickness.

Is the suspension coil or leaf springs? The coils would have long trailing arms with a crossmember mount. The leafs themselves probably weight as much as the frame.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets