New To Forum/Trailer Height Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:37 pm

onegunshort wrote:OK, The trailer is now as low as it can be with the current axle/tire size. I put the springs underneath the axle. The top of the deck is now 23", the hitch is now 18"(same as my truck). I know it's still higher than most, but I think it will be doable. the axle has 12" of clearance, and about 9" under the springs. Any thoughts? Pics to follow soon and some insight into the most daring part of my wacky scheme. :twisted: Hopfully y'all don't run me out of town on a rail for this. Stay Tuned..................

Wow what size springs do you have?
Aw come on let us in on it, You have peaked my interest. Promise not to run you outta town. :wink:
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 pm

I'm thinking the same thing Steve, he must have a few leaves more than most. I guess that's better than being a few leaves shorter then most. :lol:
Come on onegun, give us a hint!!!! :D
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby onegunshort » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:21 am

I was actually referring to the trailer frame construction. The tongue is a galvanized steel pipe in the middle of a galvanized angle iron "V" shape. That is the only actual metal frame on the trailer, the rear half of the trailer is all pressure treated wood. I got the trailer from my grandfather-in-law. He built it 50 years ago, it was all aluminum clad plywood with strategically placed angle iron for support. I was a little skeptical about how sturdy a wood frame trailer could be until I started tearing it apart. It was quite frustrating. I figured since it lasted so long I would just build a new wooden frame using the tongue and axle from the trailer, and reinforce it with the pieces of angle iron that are left. I'll post the pics tonight so you can see what I mean. And then if anyone thinks I'm making a gross error of judgement you can let me know.
I want to die peacfully in my sleep like my grandpa, not kicking and screaming like his passengers.
onegunshort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onegunshort » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

This will still have to be reinforced before I can cover it with plywood. I will be bolting cross members to the 4"x4"s that the springs are bolted to. There will be six bolts holding each 4"x4" to the frame. The crossmembers will be 2"x4"s stood on end running front to rear and through bolted to the 4"x4"s. Then I have to decide where to put the other pieces of angle iron for maximum support. If anyone has concerns about the safety of this rig, please voice them, I don't want to create a hazardous situation here. You can see that the "V" of the tongue extends past the frame on each side, the overhang will be removed. I'm thinking of bolting the angle iron to the top of the frame on each side, and then the plywood sides can bolt to the angle iron when I put them on. That way I get structural support for the frame and for the camper sides. Once the frame is covered with plywood I'll flip it over and seal it up.
I want to die peacfully in my sleep like my grandpa, not kicking and screaming like his passengers.
onegunshort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:01 am

Onegun,, welcome to the teardrop Romper Room,, sort of the internets version of adult day care,,, It takes a lot to get run off from here, Doug has his flower/power pants, Ira has tha crabs, I got a pickle fixation,,,,, Nawwww ya not getting run off ,,,YET!!!!

Wood frame is interesting, I am no engineer but with good wood, bracing, glue and screws it can work just fine,,

One thing ya might look at to lower the frame a couple inches is the location of the 4x4 (?) that is in front of and behind the axle,, that your springs are attached to,, instead of setting the frame rails on top of these members, what about making them flush with the top of the floor frame,, might save ya a couple inches in height, unless ya are satisfied with it now,,, Andrew, might have a few comments on this,

well welcome again and as has been said,, take pics, or ya days might be numbered

chipper :thumbsup: :picklejuice:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onegunshort » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:07 pm

Thanks Chip, I am happy with the height as it is, besides, I already put in the rear crossmembers as you can see here. Image and here Image

and here is the front with the angle iron overhang removed

Now to sheet in plywood and seal. :thumbsup:
onegunshort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Look's good. :thumbsup: Keep the pic's coming.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:15 pm

That looks good to me, particularly that tongue assembly which looks as strong enough to be on a locomotive!

The one thing that worries me is the joints - from your latest photos it looks like you're just driving a couple of nails into the end of 2x4s and not using any glue. I wouldn't feel confident with that myself - it wouldn't be acceptable on a house floor, and house floors don't get vibrated going down the road (well, not much....). But I'm not saying I know this isn't strong enough - just that I don't know it is.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby onegunshort » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:16 pm

You both have good points about gluing the joints, It shouldn't be a big deal to separate the outer frame and get some glue in there. It's not that I didn't feel like doing it, I just hadn't thought about it at all. Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm a mechanic by trade, woodworking isn't my specialty. Thanks again for all the input.
onegunshort
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets