Search help!!! HF axle over the springs instead of under.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Search help!!! HF axle over the springs instead of under.

Postby kirtsjc » Tue May 30, 2006 8:10 am

:question:

I have seen it discussed before, but can't seem to find the right search terms to my question:

I am not happy with the height of my 4by8 HF frame - I feel that is it just that "silly few inches" too high from level ground.

Want I am searching for is the discussions in the past about mounting the axle on top of the springs to lower the height overall that silly few inches.

There is not much clearance in that space, and I don't want to have the axle banging the frame on hard bumps.

Had the frame with deck and side rails in a parade on Memorial Day. (I levered the Weekender body up on supports and pulled the frame out, reinstalled it "permanently" Monday afternoon.)

Hauled about eight ladies of a non-profit organization - I would say the total weight with the wood was about 2,000 pounds, 200 lbs over the rated max of the frame (1,800 lbs). Rode like a dream, and the ladies loved my trailer over the old nasty converted horse trailer that had been provided for their use in the past. Even had a friend drive for a mile or so at 3 mph and watched for axle deflection. None, but then at 3 mph I didn't expect any.

When I hauled it at speed (minus the ladies of course, but the wood "parade duty configuration" frame still installed @ 100 lbs. ) I had the entire frame bouncing up instead of any spring action...

So, is it the opinion of the forum that I can move the axle to OVER the springs instead of under, like HF says in their manual? And then install some sort of rubber baby buggy bumpers to help absorb bump shock?

(No Madjack, Ira, Gage, and Chris, I am NOT going to type RBBB three times real fast! YOU type it and see what happens... :) )

Making progress... Just about a week behind everybody, as I am looking at pix, and making changes....
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue May 30, 2006 8:20 am

I don't have an HF trailer but if I remember right, what most do is cut a notch directly above the axle ( a little larger than the axle) in the piece that holds the springs. That gives you more clearance.
I'm sure someone can post a pic of what I am talking about.

Borrowed this pic from someone, this is exactly what I am talking about.
Last edited by Nitetimes on Tue May 30, 2006 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby kirtsjc » Tue May 30, 2006 8:26 am

Nitetimes wrote:I don't have an HF trailer but if I remember right, what most do is cut a notch directly above the axle ( a little larger than the axle) in the piece that holds the springs. That gives you more clearance.
I'm sure someone can post a pic of what I am talking about.

Thanks Rich!

(edited message)
thanks again on the edit showing the notch!
Last edited by kirtsjc on Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Darren » Tue May 30, 2006 9:57 am

Rich, Look at Mikes Generic Benroy Plans, link at the top of the page. He used a different trailer but the basic information is there, with pics.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby kirtsjc » Tue May 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Victor Star wrote:Rich, Look at Mikes Generic Benroy Plans, link at the top of the page. He used a different trailer but the basic information is there, with pics.

Thank you Victor, that was the one!!!!

No wonder I couldn't find it... it was hiding in a PDF!
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets