Hub to hub vs. Inside tire clearance

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Hub to hub vs. Inside tire clearance

Postby homeroast » Wed May 31, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm considering building a trailer.

Let's presume my finished tear will be 60" wide (outside dimension, sides hanging outside of a 58" frame. I want roughly 62" from inside tire to inside tire (1" clearance either side). I'm leaning towards a 13" wheel.

How do I determine what my hub to hub distance will be so I can order an axle?
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 pm

You have to know the "backspacing" of the wheel and tire. To measure it, lay the wheel and tire down on the floor, outside down. Then take a straight edge and lay it accross the back of the wheel/tire, and with a tape measure, measure from the straight edge to the center of the wheel where the hub goes. Take that measurement, multiply times two, add the two inches for clearance, and add the width of the body. The sum of that is what you want for the axle.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby homeroast » Wed May 31, 2006 1:25 pm

Thx steveh. Looks like I need to round up a set of wheels and tires.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 pm

Don't know where you are, but if you have a Northern Tool store near you, you can go there and do the measuring because they stock all the wheels and tires.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby homeroast » Wed May 31, 2006 2:19 pm

I updated my profile to show my location. I think Canadian Tire has tire sets I can measure.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets