Trailer hunt begins

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer hunt begins

Postby homeroast » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:44 pm

I was initially interested in a bolt together trailer, but the shipping and brokerage fees were crazy to canada. I was investigating building my own but I'm afraid I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me with the tear alone. So i've picked up a bargain finder today with 15 utility trailer listings sized 8' long and shorter, ranging from $75 to 650. The search begins.

Here's some questions I'm going to ask on the phone before I make appointments to see any of them.
1) deck size (if not stated in ad)
2) total weight
3) capacity
4) tire size
5) ball size

Anything I'm missing?

I'll probably be back tonight to post pics of ones I end up looking at.

Anyone familiar with Reese or Cargo King names? Those were stated in a couple of ads.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GregB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:55 pm

You might also ask what the structural elements are: is it made of angle iron, square tube, c channel or rectangular tube. Many people will not have a clue what the weight of the trailer is and you can (roughly) compare them based on their structural components. Also, you might ask if they are flattops or if they have a wall around them. Sometimes these little walls are integrated into the frame design and cannot be removed easily.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby homeroast » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Good questions, thanks. I imagine I'll get down to 2 or 3 trailers with varying price points and req'd mods, then I'll weight the money vs. labour thing. Luckily I work at a fabrication shop, and can trade beer for labour for things like torch cutting and welding.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:54 pm

Roasted...if you work at a fab shop and know people with welding skills, here is an option for ya...buy the steel for your trailer, cut, size, fit, jig up the steel and have one of them come over for supper and a beer and do up a welding job...if you have everything basically ready to weld, they can do it in a couple of hours or so and y'all can have a little fun and maybe make a convert...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:14 pm

If you plan on getting one "custom-built" there's Standen's; for the axle and trailer parts. There in Calgary.....

Forgot the link;
http://www.standens.com/products.htm
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby homeroast » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Ken, my wife and i were born in sudbury. I proposed under the big nickel in '03 and we were married at bryston's last year. We stay on ramsay lake every year for a week or two. My wife's grandfather has been the announcer at the arena for 51 years.

Oh yeah, this is a trailer forum, not a sudbury forum.

I've talked to half a dozen trailer owners now. Regardless of size, they all say they weigh 300#. I think that's far too conservative. One trailer is made from the rear axle of a truck, it's got brakes and drums on it that aren't wired up. how much would that weigh? I'm guessing more than the 70# that he thinks it weighs.

Madjack, i've read you tell this to many people before me. And it's starting to sound more and more like the way to go. But I'm scared.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BrwBier » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:21 pm

We stayed in Sudbury one night when driving from Sault Ste. Marie to Niagara Falls. Nice town, nice lake walk and the science center was interesting.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:57 am

Roasted , that is just one option...we do that in our shop...neither my partner or I are accomplished welders, so we cut and jig up the steel and a friend who is an accomplished weldor comes over and does the welding for us...takes him about an hour and a half of actual work...we do tend to goof off a little bit at times
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:22 am

madjack wrote:...we do tend to goof off a little bit at times
madjack 8)

Can't imagine that,MJ :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets