Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Frame

Postby greg55 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:05 pm

I have a 5x8 frame made of 2x2x1/8 angle.The three cross braces inside the frame are 1.5 x1.5 x1/8.The tounge is 2x2 sq tubing 6'2"long with 4' extended past the frame.The tounge braces are 44" long and attach 20" from the frame.The floor will be framed with1.5 x1.5 covered with 1/2" plywood.My empty weight should come in at about 550 lbs.Is this frame strong enough? Theres a picture in my album.I can't seem to get it into my posting.[/img]
greg55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby goldcoop » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Greg-

Looks plenty robust enough for a TD!

What's the thickness of the 2" x 2" Tongue Tube?

Most tend to go with 3/16"...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Looks like it may need a v brace under the tongue 2” sq tube. Take a 1” by ¼” bar stock and weld it at the back end and the front near the hitch cuppers tongue tube. Weld a short piece of the angle iron between the tube and the v brace bar stock, under where the front crosses the body angle iron piece. That should make the tongue a lot stronger in the vertical load direction. Other than that as long as you don’t go too much over 2000 lbs should work grate. Nice job on the frame! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:56 pm

Here ya go:

Yup I agree, you may need to brace it up. I have a single tongue made from 2X2X1/8 square tubing. It is pretty long because I was gonna install a tongue box, an idea which I later ditched.

After I found out the true weight of the trailer, I don't think it's strong enough. I will cut about 20in off of it to shorten the moment. Maybe that in combination with the brace Chuck mentioned will make it OK.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:50 am

That looks like a very nice lightweight trailer frame. Congratulations on not over-building!

In view of the comments about your tongue, I've run it through my tongue strength check - after I'd added the 1.5"x1.5" angle that I hadn't previously listed. I've assumed your 2"x2" tongue is 1/8" thick.

The single tongue tube is OK up to a total trailer weight of 1,000lb and the whole tongue is OK up to 760lb, so that lower figure is your limit. Remember that this is total, laden trailer weight (ie, GVWR), not its unladen weight, so your 550lb unladen weight is about the maximum this tongue can carry.

Every comparison of this tongue strength check, which is just the Australian small trailer rules, suggests that it gives a stronger tongue than is usually provided on most trailers - for example, the tongue of the Harbor Freight 1,800lb trailer is only OK up to 1,250lb by this check!

So I reckon you're doing fine, though you should check that you really achieve the (optimistic) light weight you are targetting.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Frame

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:47 am

greg55 wrote:The floor will be framed with1.5 x1.5 covered with 1/2" plywood.

If you want to dump a little excess weight lose the floor framing, there's no reason you can't just screw the ply to the frame and build from there. Deck screws work quite well for that.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 pm

Rich, we used those type of deck screws to attach the floor and walls directly to the trailer frame...they work wonderfully well...we also used painters caulk (siliconized acrylic) between the wood and steel to help seal out road grime.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby twdarty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:16 pm

That looks like the same frame I built to pull with our new beetle. I think it'll do good.
twdarty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby homeroast » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Just yesterday I was thinking how the 3/8" bolts I've often seen to secure the floor to the trailer frame was overkill. I think I'll adopt this for my build. It also eliminates drilling a clearance hole for the head of the bolts so they are not sticking up above the surface of the floor.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Melvin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:18 pm

Nitetimes wrote:

If you want to dump a little excess weight lose the floor framing, there's no reason you can't just screw the ply to the frame and build from there. Deck screws work quite well for that.

Wafer Teks (or plyteks) are a bit cheaper than that and are designed to attach plywood to steel. You can get them in all sorts of lengths to match with your needs.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Frame

Postby greg55 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for all the replys. Andrew,my tounge is 2x2x3/16.Does the extra thickness make it much stronger?The reason the tounge braces don't come farther up is to have room for my trailer jack to swing up when towing.
greg55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:08 pm

greg55 wrote:my tounge is 2x2x3/16.Does the extra thickness make it much stronger?

It does, though not by as much as you might expect. The tongue strength is enough for a 970lb total trailer weight. So you'd have to overshoot your target weight by a lot for tongue strength to be a problem.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:05 am

Melvin wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:

Wafer Teks (or plyteks) are a bit cheaper than that and are designed to attach plywood to steel. You can get them in all sorts of lengths to match with your needs.

They look like ones I've used in he past, still have some out in the garage I believe. Don't care for them tho, most have a phillips head and they strip out easily, they didn't drill very well either, the others have a head like a tech screw that doesn't counter sink itself which sort of defeats the purpose. The do work good in AL tho.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby BigDaddyCool » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:15 am

i'm building a frame juste like that 2x2x1/8 angle everywhere whit 2x2x1/8 tube....

looking good :thumbsup:
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:28 am

...I don't care much for the self-drilling screws...they don't drill well and have a tendency to pull the ply apart and away from the metal and the phillips heads tend to strip out befor the drilling is done...the trailer deck screws that Rich linked to have to be predrilled and with a torqx head they work a lot better...we drilled the ply first, 1 size larger before drilling the holes in the steel to help with the pulling problem...
madjack 8) [/url]
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets