HF and TSC trailers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Endo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:46 am

greeng0at wrote:Endo,

It looks like you left the axle in the default position for that HF trailer- I'm guessing it worked out in terms of tongue weight? Any idea how much tongue weight you have, given the weight of the galley at the far rear? I am in the process of putting my trailer frame together, so I want to plan for moving the axle if it looks like it is necessary. Thanks!

Brian

-edit- nevermind... I checked some of the builds up in the design library, and it suggests moving the axle back 4". But still, if anyone has no problems with the axle in the default position, please weigh in...

I did leave the axle in the original position. I have not had any problems. I usually pack any extra gear inside the trailer towards the front. This also allows me to pack gear on the tongue. See this thread.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=

I did check the tongue weight once (without extra gear) but I don't recall what it is. I can say even without any extra gear the trailer tows fine.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby hammer & tongs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:57 am

I am very pleased with my TSC trailer.

Ray & Debbie must have gotten a "Monday morning" trailer...Mine (2) have all the cross members in place all at proper level...cross members welded below side members.

Bolt heads forcing wood parts to be countersunk ?

What bolt heads ? ...Yes indeed, the frame IS welded...

Are we talking about the same trailer ? The one I'm speaking of is not a "package" trailer..it is complete, sitting on the lot, waiting for a floor..

Here is why I opted for the TSC rather than the HF:

1) the TSC is set up on a jig and welded solidly in place

2) Virtually no bolt heads to deal with (excluding side lights, which can easily be remounted if so desired).

3) The frame is made of true " hot rolled" steel..whereas the competition that I have seen is made of simply folded sheet steel.

4) No extraneous holes that had to be plugged or covered.

5) Last...and certainly not least..TSC trailers are made in the USA with Dexter axles..

I don't know where HF trailers are made..perhaps someone who owns one can tell us where !

So ! HF owners...where are those trailers made ?
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Postby surveytech » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 am

hammer & tongs wrote:I am very pleased with my TSC trailer.

Ray & Debbie must have gotten a "Monday morning" trailer...Mine (2) have all the cross members in place all at proper level...cross members welded below side members.

Bolt heads forcing wood parts to be countersunk ?

What bolt heads ? ...Yes indeed, the frame IS welded...

Are we talking about the same trailer ? The one I'm speaking of is not a "package" trailer..it is complete, sitting on the lot, waiting for a floor..

Here is why I opted for the TSC rather than the HF:

1) the TSC is set up on a jig and welded solidly in place

2) Virtually no bolt heads to deal with (excluding side lights, which can easily be remounted if so desired).

3) The frame is made of true " hot rolled" steel..whereas the competition that I have seen is made of simply folded sheet steel.

4) No extraneous holes that had to be plugged or covered.

5) Last...and certainly not least..TSC trailers are made in the USA with Dexter axles..

I don't know where HF trailers are made..perhaps someone who owns one can tell us where !

So ! HF owners...where are those trailers made ?

Dont forget...........

easy to add larger tires if you want them. Clearance is there and its a 5x 4-1/2 pattern. any trailer tire will fit.
No trips to the junkyard looking for weird rims.

no metric bearings! they can be picked up at any auto parts store.

WELDED WELDED WELDED
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Our Carry-On trailer was purchased last July for $299. It came in two boxes. It was a self assembly trailer. As far as I have seen, they do not have them around here at any longer. I only see pre-assembled welded ones this year. Sounds like you got a much better deal.-Ray
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:12 pm

hammer & tongs wrote:....... So ! HF owners...where are those trailers made ?

CHINA!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Some are made in parts of what was formerly know as Russia. Don't know the exact country but I was told that it is some Eastern European country.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:59 pm

asianflava wrote:Some are made in parts of what was formerly know as Russia. Don't know the exact country but I was told that it is some Eastern European country.

Ukrainia(sp?)...................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby hammer & tongs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:25 pm

The one I bought on Saturday was $289 + tax...seems like the same model I bought last year was $279...sigh..inflation..
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Postby ClaudeWSmith » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:07 am

// TSC rather than the HF: //

What does TSC and HF short for ??

Thanks
Claude
------------
As I was going up the stair, I met a man that wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish, he would go away.
ClaudeWSmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby toypusher » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:18 am

ClaudeWSmith wrote:// TSC rather than the HF: //

What does TSC and HF short for ??

Thanks

TSC: Tractor Supply Company and HF: Harbor Freight
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby ClaudeWSmith » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:21 pm

I feel rather stupid - I found the information about 5 minutes after I posted - Thanks - I will do more search prior to the stupid questions.
Claude
------------
As I was going up the stair, I met a man that wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish, he would go away.
ClaudeWSmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby Finntec » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Thats ok, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. T&TTT has its own language. You'll learn it after a while. :thumbsup:
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Finntec » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Has anyone put a larger tire on their carry-on trailer? I'd like to put nicer looking rims on the trailer if possible. 15" tires would be nicer looking than the 12". Would it not improve the trailer's stiff ride too? If I had better rims, I would get nicer fenders too. Show the pics if you got 'em. Thanks -Ray
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby surveytech » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Ray,
I found a couple of 14" white spoke rims in a ditch and tried them on my Carry On trailer with a 205-75 goodyear marathon radial. It did fit on there. (I had already cut off my stock fenders) I could just get my hand in between the tire sidewall and the trailer frame.

I decided against using those tires because they are way larger (26" diameter) than what is on my PT Cruiser. It just looked funny.

You on the other hand have a full sized truck. I bet the combo would look good! It would probably level the trailer a bit too behind that truck by raising the trailer about 3 inches.

But the fenders would have to go. Are they bolted on? If so unbolt one and see if you can find a rim and tire to see how it fits.

Good luck.
Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Thanks Walter. I'll have to unbolt the fenders and try them.
Finntec
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets