HF 1175# Trailer Top Speed

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:19 pm

Rich, I figure that you can hear things go wrong in a car but the poor old trailer is expected to perform year after year and trip after trip without a thought for any maintenance. I check all my trailers at least once a year for "peace of mind". After pulling them apart and cleaning and re-greasing or replacing, I fit a new seal at least. Takes about 2 hours to do a single axle trailer and about $10.00AUD for 2 new seals. Because we do a heap of remote area camping, I figure that the Tear will get the same treatment.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:29 pm

The seal is the most important and most often ignored part. In the terrain you are traveling I'd changed them every year too. Definitely cheap insurance. Most folks don't realize that the grease seeps under the seal a bit and the dust sticks to it and more or less turns it into sandpaper. I have seen the area that the seal rides on actually look like someone sanded it and all it was was the dirt around the seal.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Maybe not necessary...and I guess it's left over from Grandpa...but I carry a set of bearings and seals with me....and I've had to use them before on a boat trailer coming back from Lake Powell...small parts, but I've got them and they will fit a lot of axles if I needed to help out another...but I also carry my "camping tool box" with me also, and feel the hubs for heat regularly when fueling up...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets