HF 1175# Trailer Top Speed

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF 1175# Trailer Top Speed

Postby imstriker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Alright, you all have finally contributed to my inspiration. I ran out and got a great deal on the 1175# HF trailer. Upon getting it home, the rims are stamped not to exceed 55mph and the manual says to not exceed 45. Hmm, no more warm fuzzies about finally building a tear. Is this just legal covering, or is this trailer really unsafe above 45/55? Just looking for some personal experiences to make feel better so I can get working and not returning.

Thanks,

Matt
imstriker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:11 pm

I have the HF trailer.............the folding model.............that I use as a utility trailer and to haul tent camping stuff behind my Honda. (which I soon hope to stop having to do!) :lol: I regularly pull it at 70/80 mph with no problems. Just make sure you check the bearings often and I personally prefer to grease them before long trips.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby H-Balm » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:58 pm

good post i'd like to hear more responses.

You may be on to something with a "cover your A#@" idea, but best to talk to those with first hand experiences.
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby Leon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Those bearings are rated for a lot more speed than what you would safely do on the highway with or without the trailer. A more important factor is the trailer balance. They are putting that on the trailer so if an improperly loaded trailer gets in an accident, they can say "we warned you".
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby ogeer3 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:12 pm

I have one of the 1175# HF trailers and have used it as a utility trailer for a number of years now. I have pulled it from Texas to Colorado and back twice among other things. I have pulled it loaded down and at speeds of 80+ with no problems. It is now becoming a weekender TD. I don't remember anything like that on mine but it sounds like CYA to me.
ogeer3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:14 pm

I think it's probably just a CYA type of statement. Look on the fender of all U-Hauls and they'll have a sticker which states it should not be towed faster than 45 mph. (Now let's see............ I was doing 80 when the guy with the U-haul passed me.) :roll: :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Q » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:06 pm

I've towed mine thousands of miles at 70 mph and above with no problems. I've haven't greased the bearings since assembly.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:14 pm

Q wrote:I've towed mine thousands of miles at 70 mph and above with no problems. I've haven't greased the bearings since assembly.

Q

That sounds like a recipe for imminent disaster to me :shock:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Q » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:18 am

Paul,

Think how often the average car owner packs the wheel bearings on a car or pickup (the type that can be packed). Most just never do it and the bearings usually last 100,000 miles or more. Now a boat trailer is a different animal because of immersion in water but I don't use my tear to launch boats.

Q

PaulC wrote:
Q wrote:I've towed mine thousands of miles at 70 mph and above with no problems. I've haven't greased the bearings since assembly.

Q

That sounds like a recipe for imminent disaster to me :shock:

Cheers
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 am

What's the trailer top speed? Hmmm, seems like the real question here is, how much horspower does your tow vehicle have? :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:10 am

I'm with you, Q, on this. Roller bearings need very little lubrication and adding too much grease does about as much harm as too little - the bearings will overheat due to churning all that excess grease around. A couple of teaspoons of grease over what fits inside the races is enough. And replacing the grease every 5-10 years is sensibly cautious - leaving it for 10-20 years is a bit sloppy (though it will still work fine....)!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Leon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:22 pm

I pulled the hubs off my car hauler after 10 years and they looked like I had just greased them. Since I had them off I regreased, but they were fine.As long as they're done right in the first place they will last quite a while. Most of those bearings are rated for a lot higher rpm than we would give them by towing so speed isn't a bearing problem. Tow it and enjoy it.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I wounder if the tires grow in size like a dragster and then when you least expect it pop! :cry:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:17 pm

We've just returned from an 800 mile round trip up into Northern Australia and noticed two trailers minus a wheel and hub parked on the side of the road, in different locations. Both trailers had suffered bearing failure. During this trip we did not notice any vehicles parked that had suffered the same fate. Go Figure.

Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:12 pm

PaulC wrote:.... noticed two trailers minus a wheel and hub parked on the side of the road, in different locations. Both trailers had suffered bearing failure.....

I'd almost be willing to bet the cause of the bearing failure wasn't the grease or lack of. Most likely it was a grease seal failure that let dirt into the hub. About 99% of the axles I have fixed/replaced due to bearing failure were directly related to the seal failing for one reason or another.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets