Old UHaul Trailer Conversion

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Old UHaul Trailer Conversion

Postby WhiteRaider » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Greetings,

I'm a first time poster and have been lurking for a while. I've been interested in a light, minimal trailer to pull behind my 4x4 off road. Naturally, this led to the discovery of teardrop trailers. I was getting ready to take the plunge and buy a chassis when my grandmother offered me an old trailer that she has had sitting on her property under a carport in California for a long time.

Here's a link to the larger photo:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/ ... railer.jpg

It's an old, 9 x 5 moving trailer that has a fiberglass shell. It's been sitting for about 15 years ever since her goats ate some of the wiring on it. :lol: It will need new wiring, but the chassis is solid with nothing more than a few spots of light surface rust and should clean up well.

It has brakes, beefy leaf springs, 6 on 5.5 lugs on the wheels which match the pattern on my 4x4, and it is fairly light (although I don't know how much it weighs). The fiberglass needs a little work, but overall is in pretty decent shape.

My initial plan is to add a couple inches of rigid insulation, cut a door and window in the side, and a vent in the roof. The interior should have enough space for a convertable sofa/bed, something like a futon. I haven't really figured out the interior layout at all and will be thinking about what to do and looking at what others have done. Ideally, I want to be able to sit in it during rain/bad weather during the day and have a TV/DVD player as well as a decent sized power system to get me through a couple of days - possibly even add a solar panel.

The back of the trailer has split doors that hinge on the sides. Perhaps I'll build a kitchen that slides out on rails and a canopy over the top - I'll have to kick some ideas around. Right now, I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with it. I may even cut up the fiberglass sides to lower it and make it more aerodynamic and teardrop like.

Do you guys think it's worthwhile to use the existing fiberglass shell as a starting point, or would it be better to just rip it off and use the chassis? I've been very impressed with the creativity shown by the members on this site so any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm psyched to get started on my tiny trailer adventure.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
WhiteRaider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:02 pm

...welcome up WR, doanno 'bout others but I do believe that I would leave it as is and modify to meet my needs...that looks to be a classic old trailer and if in good shape I would just do a rehab and use as is...my first thought when I saw it was a Coke trailer...thanks for coming into the light and sharing a pic...we luv 'em ya know...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:38 pm

I agree with you Jack...just redo it to fit your needs, and what would really look cool is to find some vintage art work from a period U-Haul and modify them to fit the sides...just keep everyone guessing....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Rob,
Looks like you have a great start to a TTT. Enjoy and modify to suit your taste. Thanks for the picture.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:53 pm

doug hodder wrote:I agree with you Jack...just redo it to fit your needs, and what would really look cool is to find some vintage art work from a period U-Haul and modify them to fit the sides...just keep everyone guessing....Doug

...that is what I was thinking Doug...some kinda vintage art work for decorations...would be a perfect "canvas" for such....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby WhiteRaider » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:32 am

and what would really look cool is to find some vintage art work from a period U-Haul and modify them to fit the sides

Interesting idea! I thought the boxy shape was kind of ugly, but with a nice painting on the side, it would look pretty great. I'll need to find someone to help out with that since I have no artisitic ability, but I like it! Right now, it's got the remains of an ad for a record shop on the side of it along with about three coats of paint from different years peeling off so it needs to be sanded and painted. A nice panoramic travel scene would be very cool!

I opened up the trailer this evening and it wasn't a UHaul, but a National Rental trailer. I couldn't find any dates on it. Perhaps when I get the title it will have some more information on how old it is.

There is an interesting embossed fiberglass USA map on both sides with trailer wheels in the area of Texas. This might be able to be highlighted in paint on the other side of the trailer from the photo. The fiberglass on the side showing in the photo has some cracks and is deteriorating in a few spots on the inside. Rather than repair this, I may just take out that entire side panel and frame in the door and window. Or, if I keep that panel, I may try to find a window that fits in the dimensions of the USA map.

All of the bolts holding the fiberglass shell together are rusting a bit and need to be replaced and sealed so the trailer will probably get a complete dissasembly. Who knows what will turn up then.

Inside, I can stand up between roof spars and I'm 6' tall. However, after adding a few inches of floor insulation and roof insulation, this won't be possible anymore, but I won't have to stoop too much.

One nice thing about keeping it in it's current state is that I'll be able to mount a decent sized awning above the door.

Thanks for the suggestion on the painting! Keep the ideas coming...

Cheers!
Rob
WhiteRaider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jagular7 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:00 am

Redoing an older trailer will depend, as you are finding out, the overall condition and how much work you'll have to do with what you are planning. Plan ideas do change based on the overall condition and how much work that'll have to be done.

Since you have 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern for both the trailer and the truck, depending on the tire size of your 4x4, maybe look at using the same tire?LOL. That'll make for a tall trailer though, esp for a GM truck or the Toyota, if that's what you have.

For kitchen ideas, AU has some trailers with the kitchen that folds down on the side of the trailer. Some slide out from a chamber in the trailer. Even the old US folding campers had swing out kitchens. Here are a few pics for ideas:

With a straight and square top edge, adding an awing is quite easy to do. You could even look into one that is encased in a bag that stays on.

Have you seen the other cargo to camper conversion on this forum? Much bigger but still same concepts.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby WhiteRaider » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:55 am

After carefully looking over the fiberglass inside of the trailer and out, I've decided to take the shell off and just build a teardrop. There are a few bad repairs, lots of warpage, and some cracked spots. Getting it back to a restored state will be too much work for something that isn't what I really want. I want a teardrop! If I'm going to put the hours, I should get what I really want. :)

The frame is surely overkill for a tear but the tow vehicle will be able to handle it with ease. The 5x9 frame size will be a great size for a tear. I'll be able to get a legit queen sized mattress still have room for a decent galley.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm going to start disassembling it this weekend to do some frame cleaning and restoration.

Cheers!
Rob
WhiteRaider
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets