Rust and a Grinder

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:49 am

Juneaudave wrote:Stupid question maybe...I have my steel stacked up, it's pretty clean except for some oily junk on it, and being the worlds slowest builder (except Chris), I wonder if I would be better off cleaning it and putting on some primer. I'm a guessing I won't be at welding till fall and it is a bit damp up here in the hinderlands even in the garage... Thoughts????
    Dave,
    Send me a ticket on the ferry and I'll come done and weld it up for you! :twisted:
    Might put you well ahead of Chris! :lol:
    Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dean Williams » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:15 am

Juneaudave wrote:Stupid question maybe...I have my steel stacked up, it's pretty clean except for some oily junk on it, and being the worlds slowest builder (except Chris), I wonder if I would be better off cleaning it and putting on some primer. I'm a guessing I won't be at welding till fall and it is a bit damp up here in the hinderlands even in the garage... Thoughts????

The oily junk is present on most new tubing, and it's there just to prevent runt in transit/storage. If it has a fairly even coating, it will probably last 'til fall. If you have time to clean it and prime it, that's probably your best bet. Most any evaporating solvent will take it off. White gas, like Coleman fuel works well. Other solvents will work too, but many leave a residue that paint will not stick to well.

You can also wash it with something like TSP. You'll have to dry it well before painting.
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Postby jagular7 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:28 am

I suggest flapper wheels or sanding discs for the grinder to use. These sanding discs are designed with a rotational speed. This rotational speed has to match/nearly match your grinder speed.
Take a trip to a fense fab shop. They have grinders for grinding steel and wrought iron. They also have large sanding discs to 'finish' the fense before painting or coating. They have to get a lot of the weld flash off the piece before finishing.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby homeroast » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:52 am

I'll give this a go tonight and let ya know how it worked. If it sucks, I'll try somethin' else.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:02 pm

Cheap lacquer thinner, is a great clean up solvent...works well for paint guns, car parts, iron etc....available in 1 gal cans at big box stores, I get 5 gal cans from the auto paint supplier, better price/gallon....for thick rust, I like wire cup, on finer rust a fine flapper or like an 80 grit disk on a grinder...the composite disks are made for moving lots of material in a hurry...serious grinding, not clean up...all the grinding will show up in the paint without extra work to hide it....just what I've found, for what it's worth....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:08 am

I would suggest leaving the oil alone until you are ready to use the steel. If it's fairly well oiled damp air won't make it rust much. Keep in mind that primer does not protect steel from rust, in fact it absorbs water, so it actually tends to promote rust.
So you'll end up doing more work removing he oil, cleaning, priming then when you're ready to use it you'll need to sand it, clean the joints where you weld and remove any rust that forms.

:thinking: :thumbdown: :thinking: :thumbdown:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby homeroast » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:02 am

The wire wheel seemed to work okay. It took off all the rust with little effort and didn't mark the surface like the hard black cutting wheel did.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets