Questions about the HF 1175# bearings and dust caps

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Questions about the HF 1175# bearings and dust caps

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:55 am

Took the camper to Kansas City, on the way lost a dust cap. :(
That seems to be a common problem with these HF trailers. Has anyone found a soulation to this problem? I checked with some local auto parts and trailer stores but nothing they had would fit. I finally ordered some from HF but it looks like I'll to have duct tape them to the hub to keep them on.

Was going to order replacement bearings for the 1175# trailer but on their web site it only shows one bearing and some type of ring, not sure what that is.

Are the inner and outer bearings for this trailer the same size and where can you get the grease seals. That ring in the pic for the replacement bearing does does not look like a grease seal.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rainjer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:03 am

If you look at the side of the grease seal there should be a part # stamped in it. That part number will be a standard grease seal. Call a couple trailer place & one of them should have one.

The "ring" is the the bearing race. It is pressed into the hub. You will need to get the old ones out before you press the new ones in. Good luck.
Last edited by rainjer on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Joseph » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 am

rainjer wrote:If you look at the sised of the grease seal there should be a part # stamped in it. That part number will be a standard grease seal. Call a couple trailer place & one of them should have one.

Good luck is right. The HF seals are metric and I have yet to find any trailer, RV or auto parts store that carries them.

I got my seals from Maryland Metrics, a dealer for AnySeals.com.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby EZ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Joseph wrote:
rainjer wrote:If you look at the sised of the grease seal there should be a part # stamped in it. That part number will be a standard grease seal. Call a couple trailer place & one of them should have one.

Good luck is right. The HF seals are metric and I have yet to find any trailer, RV or auto parts store that carries them.

I got my seals from Maryland Metrics, a dealer for AnySeals.com.

Joseph

Joseph, any idea what the part number is for those of us who want spares? I have a HF 1175# version. The bearing/race part number would be cool too if anyone has it handy.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:39 am

For those who want to order the bearings and seals from HF for the 1175# trailer here is the reply I got from HF tech support.

28079 BEARING 25M 284 2.85
27737 GREASE SEAL 229 1.00
Here is the part#, description, stock count as of today and price plus
6.99 freight charge. Please provide credit card information and address
and I can process the order for you.

Well I'm not going to give this Tech my credit card info in a email so I'll call HF and see if I can order through them.

The tech never did answer my question about the inner and outer bearing being the same size. I'm thinking they are but I would just like to know for sure.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets