Have I done enough to modify my trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Have I done enough to modify my trailer?

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Hello everyone.

My project is well under way. I had posted last month that I bought a used 5x8 motorcylce trailer from my mechanic and I modified it to suit my needs.

It was a folding trailer but I had them weld it for me. Here's my question: I don't intend to carry anything up front so would anyone advise adding two more pieces coming from the front corners back to the tongue?

Would that make it any stronger????? My mechanic would be happy to do that for me but is it necessary?

thanks,
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:33 pm

Barb,

I'm no expert on frames...................I'll leave that to Rich...............but I don't think I'd want a trailer without the a-frame pieces you mention. Andrew might be of more help here, but I think the side torque on a single tongue would be a problem.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:52 pm

It would definitely stiffen it up laterally but not much vertically (unless you tied it to the side frame members too.) If it was originally a motorcycle trailer, it should be OK. Two (regular)motorcycles weigh probably close to what a (regular) tear body would.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 pm

If your not going off road it should be ok!
Do you have any pictures of the frame?
Going off road welding in angle iron A pieces will help with the side to side stress ruff roads will produce. If you take the angle iron A under the front of the frame it will help with the vertical stress also.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 am

Barb, I assume your trailer currently is a 'single tongue' as shown on the left of this diagram and that you are thinking of converting it to a 'composite tongue' on the right:

It certainly can't do any harm - it will increase the sideways strength significantly and may improve the vertical strength a little. But I agree with asianflava that if you aren't trying to increase the capacity of the trailer, or correct a fault you know it currently has, it's very unlikely to be necessary.

Seeing a photo and the weight rating marked on the trailer would enable more definite answers.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:31 am

There is no weight rating as the trailer was built as a home made motorcycle trailer for my mechanic. He towed it from Ohio to Florida every year.

I think it's a solid trailer but since it was originally a foldable trailer I thought it best to have them weld the tongue before I bought it.

Thanks for all the suggestions......................
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets