My NEW Trailer Project

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

My NEW Trailer Project

Postby ClaudeWSmith » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:13 am

So - I have a 1954 Scotsman that is your basic POS. In it hey day, My ex and I used it for about 40,000 miles without any problems. It has been sitting, unused for about the last 30 years. And I have always thought of the idea of converting it to a TD trailer.

Last weekend, me and my two grandsons removed all but the frame.

I used a hand wire brush to remove all the excessive scale, road grime, dirt. etc. And found some interesting things, and a bunch of questions.

Been reading this site for the past two months for ideas and knowledge.

Questions:

1) The frame is 48" wide, so it appears that a 48" wide design is most feasible. My wife and I are planing on renting a 48" wide TD for a weekend just to see if it fits our needs/personalities. Suggestions?

2) The wheel (Center to Center) is 64". The fenders of choice are 9" wide. So, if I do the math correctly, The inside to inside distance of the fenders should be 64 - 9 = 55 inches. Should I build the trailer 55 inches wide or get different axle for the proper distance ?

3) After wire brushing, about 1/2 in of dirt/grease/grime off the spring hangers, I noticed that the spring hangers have zirt fittings on them. I plan on dis-assembly, inspection, and maybe replacing the Zirt fittings.

I have a few photos, but need to clean up the background so that you can see the frame.
Claude
------------
As I was going up the stair, I met a man that wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish, he would go away.
ClaudeWSmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby ClaudeWSmith » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:14 am

How do you upload photos ?
Claude
------------
As I was going up the stair, I met a man that wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish, he would go away.
ClaudeWSmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby toypusher » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 am

ClaudeWSmith wrote:How do you upload photos ?

Check the link at the top of the page: 'Help with photos'
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Claude welcome to the light...as to your questions,
1) if possible build 5' wide for comfort of turning and not sticking yur elbow in the wifes eye(or vice versa)
2) to get a true idea, you need to put the wheel/tire combo on and measure between them...the subtract 2"s to get max width...a 50" inside cabin width will allow use of a full sized queen bed
3) also check condition of bushings in hangers (slop)...is there still plenty of arch to the springs and pull the hubs, check and repack bearings and replace inner seal...

there is a "help with photos" button at top of page...you will need to resize photos to 640x480 pixels and preferably save at 72 dpi(low resolution) to make it easier on folks with dial-up...in you need a program/advice on resizing click here Irfanview is a handy little program and there is a tutorial included...if you are running Windows XP click here scroll down to image resizer and install...it will add right click functionality to resize any pic on your PC...after that, follow the advice on the help with photos link at top of page...it really isn't hard(trust me, I am here to help you)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:54 pm

madjack wrote:Claude welcome to the light...as to your questions,
1) if possible build 5' wide for comfort of turning and not sticking yur elbow in the wifes eye(or vice versa)
2) to get a true idea, you need to put the wheel/tire combo on and measure between them...the subtract 2"s to get max width...a 50" inside cabin width will allow use of a full sized queen bed
3) also check condition of bushings in hangers (slop)...is there still plenty of arch to the springs and pull the hubs, check and repack bearings and replace inner seal...

madjack 8)

I agree, go as wide as possible.
Jack, I'm thinking a 60" cabin would fit that queen size mattress better. :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:21 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
madjack wrote:Claude welcome to the light...as to your questions,

madjack 8)

I agree, go as wide as possible.
Jack, I'm thinking a 60" cabin would fit that queen size mattress better. :lol: :lol:

...Duh, that is what I get for posting before the second cup of coffee... :D ;) ............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets