HF Chassis Mod Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF Chassis Mod Question

Postby Rob Dines » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:22 am

I just got a 09154 HF trailer. I want to make a Widget and need to modify it for this mod. What material suggestion do I use for the tongue extension? More questions about skin material will be on another thread. Will post in a minute while I start that one.
Rob
Rob Dines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Rob,
Firstly you want to take that 09154 24" palmyra broom head back to HF and swap it for a 90154 trailer.... :lol:

I'd say make your tongue out of 2"x2"x1/8" square tube. It needs to be 48" from the centre of the ball to the front of the cut-down HF trailer frame and an A-frame tongue in this tube would be OK up to a trailer weight of 1300lb according to my tongue strength page, based on the fairly strict Australian trailer rules.

But if you want to build a Widget on a HF trailer, it would make sense to alter the trailer profile so that it suits the HF trailer. The red lines shown below are the two changes needed:

Then the only change you'd need to make to the HF frame (apart from the new tongue) is to move the second cross-member, if you want to include the dropped floor in the Widget plans.

If you wanted to do this, I'd draw you a new profile with these changes.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 pm

That reminds me, I need to model up the Raven...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets