Ground Clearance...how do you measure up?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Ground Clearance...how do you measure up?

Postby Yahnozha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:48 pm

Since im really getting into the groove of it all. One thing that would really help me (and im sure others starting) is the ground clearance you have on your TD. Id like specifics...

Measurment from the ground to the bottom most part of the frame...
Rim / Tire size your running..
Torsion or Springs..
If Springs, above or below the axle...
If Torsion, degree of start...

This is just to help me decide the overall height of a design. Where the frame will be in relation to the ground gives me a good reference to where the height of the TD will be in relation to the height of the car towing it.

Thanks,
P@
P@ = Pat, yep that simple
Yahnozha
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi Pat, It may help to know if you are contemplating building for highway use only or for offroad use. The height variation between the two can be enormous. My offroader sports 31" tyres and stands about 22" to bottom of frame. Leaf sprung suspension and axle is set on top of springs not under.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:03 pm

P@, we are running 205-70-15 tires onna torsion axle with a 0* start angle...this has lead to about 12"s(and a little) of ground clearance...the tires are just short of 27"s tall(Ithink)...
madjack 8)
p.s. I am a torsion axle fan for all but the most serious off roading
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Yahnozha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:22 pm

PaulC wrote:Hi Pat, It may help to know if you are contemplating building for highway use only or for offroad use. The height variation between the two can be enormous.

Im with you on that one...well, my daily driver is the same one that we use for our long trip excusions stands about 53" tall at the roofline and has a ground clearance of 6-1/2". The Pathy stands 66" at the roofline and 15" to the ground, so far no issues with off roading with that sucker ;) albeit im not *hard core* when it comes to off roading.

madjack wrote:p.s. I am a torsion axle fan for all but the most serious off roading

Yeah, been looking into those, im getting partial to the torsion arms as seperate units that get bolted to the frame inlieu of a whole axle.

The third and more complicated option is to use a standard axle and instead of leaf springs, make it a trailing arm style of axle with regular shock setup and coilovers to adjust the ride height of the TD, the *down side* most coilover setups only have about 3" of adjustment range. the cool thing about using this setup aside from ride height are the availability of different spring rates and different length springs. (at least thru Ground Control) With the trailing arm setup and proper springs, each wheel will act almost independantly, more like a torsion axle does.

Sorry to go OT on that one.. ;)
Yahnozha
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chip » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:29 pm

P@, I am running a 3500 lb 4" drop axle mounted on top of 1500 lb springs, tires are 14" and have an approximate height of 24" bottom of frame and bottom of body is at approx 11",, this is set up for pavement and campground improved roads,, clearance from bottom of axle to ground is right at 7" ,, Ill never have this one in desert or wilderness,, changing out rims sizes and mounting axle on bottom of springs would give a bunch more height,,,but I was after low ride

hope this helps
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:37 pm

I've got 175/75-14s on a Dexter axle with a 22.5deg start angle. I have ~15inches. A little higher than I wanted but it works out perfectly with our tow vehicle. You can always get a Flexride axle with adjustable arms.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:55 pm

Rocky, I was just going to suggest the Flexiride torsion axle with the adjustable torsion arms if height adjustability was a desired factor...great minds ya know :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Yahnozha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:05 pm

Adjustability would be a nice thing, espically if the range was significant enough to drop the TD down low when pulling with the car, and set it up higher when hitting the back roads with the truck.

So far the information has been great, nice to see the vairances in height with the different setups out there.
Yahnozha
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:15 pm

P@,

Flexiride torsion axle here. The torsion arms are splined and set one spline down from 0* start angle. 205 70R15 Tires <27" tall. The TD frame has 14" ground clearance. Using a 2" drop hitch in our Honda CR-V the trailer rides level. I also run 24-25 psi in the tires for a smoother ride. I like the Flexiride's versatility, if we change tow vehicles we can change the TearDrop ride height a couple of inches either way too.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets