Am I on the right track?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Am I on the right track?

Postby KA » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi All Teardrop Trailer Fabricators,
I keep changing my mind but think I'm finally on the right plan now for my chassis. I've been going back and forth between buying a red trailer and making one from scratch. Since my brother has offered to help with the chassis, thought I'd go for it and design one.
Here is what I have so far after reading posts and digesting previous advice:
5 X 8 frame size-Generic Benroy or Kenskill profile with frame covered. I'm waiting for Steve's Shop Manual before deciding how the cabin will proceed. Cabin will be plywood construction of some sort..no interior steel.
Main chassis: 2 x 2 1/8 square
A frame tongue: 2 X 2 X 3/16 square :thinking:
Flexiride torsion axle with adjustable torsion arms
175/75 14 tires
Dropped footwell (retractable if I can figure out a way...for most use I think it would be fine to stay in the down position)
If I go this route, how long should my tongue be and what angle would be best for the A-frame? I want a front box, too.
Thanks for input.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:25 pm

..keep in mind that for an 8'Benroy the frame would be 8' but it would be shorter for a Ken-Skil on account of front and rear radiuses...2x1/8th angle would be sufficient for the tongue bracingand could also be used for interior of frame cross members...length of tongue minimum should be the distance from the center of tow vehicle to just past the outside edge of vehicle so as to prevent the camper body and TV from coming into contact in a jacknife situation...if adding a tongue box you could, if wanted increase that length...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Am I on the right track?

Postby KA » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:33 pm

Thanks Madjack. I would never have thought about the radius issue difference between the two styles and wouldn't have considered the tow vehicle length either (even tho I hope never to jackknife...eeegaaads).

:o
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:59 pm

KA,

Your plan sounds fine to me. 2x2x3/16 is pretty heavy for an A-frame tongue (I think madjack might have assumed you were going to have a single tongue when he made his comments) - for example, 2x2x1/8 would allow you up to 1300lb trailer (GVWR) with a 48" long tongue using the Aussie rules on my tongue strength page and that would allow you to buy just one sort of tube. I'm with madjack that you don't need tube for the internals - angle is sufficient.

With an A-frame tongue you have two choices:

1) Make the angle of the A-frame 50 degrees (ie, 25 degrees either side) and you can use the industry standard couplers like this:

2) Make the A-frame another angle and you will have to add an extra tongue piece on the centreline that will enable you to use a single tongue coupler like this:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Am I on the right track?

Postby KA » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks Andrew. I like that standard coupler idea and the 48 inch tongue would give me enough room for a box.

I feel like I'm getting much closer to actually starting to build!
Hope you all don't get sick of my questions...some I have to ask more than once before I understand the concepts.

Thanks again. :)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Ask all the questions you want, Kris. That's what the forum is for. Learn as much as you can before starting your build project. You'll change your mind enough after you start...........you might has well change it a couple of hundred times before! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:05 am

Kris, Here's the frame I built for the Grneric Benroy. 5' X 8'. 2" X 2" X 1/8" tube for the frame and 2" X 2" angle for the tongue bracing.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

chassis

Postby KA » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi Jim,
Your chassis pictures look great. Was there a reason that you chose to go with the 3 part tongue instead of just an A-frame?
How did you determine where to place your cross pieces?
Thanks,
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:49 am

Kris, I started with a straight tongue. But like most, I over build. I added the 'A' as "insurance". The spacing of the cross braces was just my idea of where they would give the most support for the floor. Of course since I over build I could of went with out. I used a single sheet of 5' X 8' X 1" ply for the floor. :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

right track

Postby KA » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 am

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the replyand info. The chassis really looks nice. Hope to see your trailer one day soon.
Kris :thumbsup:
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets