Tire Clearance

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tire Clearance

Postby robert » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:11 pm

Bought a HF 4x8 folding trailer and would like to build the Generic benroy
5x8 tear .
So how much room do i need to leave above and around the tires if i leave the tires inside?
Right now the tires are sticking up a 1/2 " above the frame no weight on the trailer and i'm planing on building lightweight 1/2"ply for floor , walls and cabinets, door skins or 1/8' baltic birch fot ceiling and roof .
No off road driving most camping will be Georgia state parks very few dirt roads.
I know tires inside are in the way but they would only be in 6" on each side an i don't sleep on the side of the bed cindy and i tend to sleep in the middle so i don;t see that this would be too big of a problem once you nail your shins a few times you will to keep them out of the way :lol: .

Robert
robert
Teardrop Builder

Postby GregB » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Robert,

I'm doing the same thing. I think you'll find that with a 4-6" thick mattress, you won't even notice the protruding wheel wells. I'm still trying to figure out how much wheel travel to allow for, but I'm betting that (depending on the weight of the tear) 2" will be more than sufficient.

BTW, I have flipped the axle so it is over the springs rather than under. I will have to cut away some of the mount above it for travel. This makes the wheels protrude even more, but lowers the height of the deck, allowing the galley to fit a cooler underneath and still have the countertop at about 36" high. Just one more thought for consideration.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:46 pm

robert, I have the HF1800 trailer & am also building a 5' wide TD. The tires on my trailer extend a little more'n an inch higher than the frame. Earlier this year I was concerned about tire clearance & spring compression so I loaded more'n a thousand pounds of concrete blocks & sundry other stuff onto my trailer. The spring compression was negligible & even with tow of us (an additional 350lbs) jumping up'n down, we couldn't make the frame move more'n about a quarter inch :thumbsup: . I'm using 2"X1.5" lumber for my floor frame & am ending up with wheel wells inside the cabin about an inch high. Think we can live with that. I have the floor off now for undercoating/insulating, & plan to cut the arc a little higher to give me around 2" clearance.

Here's the frame

& here's the floor on.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets