Cutting steel

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Cutting steel

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:29 pm

I didn't want to go out and buy an expensive chop or portable band saw, so I started cutting my 1/8 box with my circular saw with a cheap abrasive blade. Seems to cut pretty good, especially after a lick with the grinder. I'm not a very good welder, is there any problems doing it this way, or something I should look out for?
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 pm

All I would suggest is to take it easy when cutting. The Bearings in a circular saw are'nt designed for heavy work. Apart from that remember that we build in teardrop time, so there is no "slow"
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:46 pm

Dave...an idea might be to buy a used chop saw (beater) in a garage sale, stick on an abrasive blade for steel...I built my first tear like that...pretty much used up the saw however, but I was cutting 2x2 x1/8" tubing and channel, it pooped out on a piece of 1/4" x 3" strap...there's no problem doing it like you are, but a chop saw gives you better control on the angle and vertical....better fit up for the weld...and if you glaze the blade, iron turns cherry red, but no cutting....clean up the blade with a piece of a brick...you have to knock off the glazed edge....just what I've experienced, others may have varying experiences....got a Harbor Freight chop saw for #2...but get a good blade, the Eastern Block blades are crap...lots of wobble in mine Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:13 am

Sawzall with a metal blade worked fine for me. Not too precise due to blade drift, but it was fine for what I was doing. I was fortunate enough to have a buddy with a chop saw,and welder, so I did the frame at his shop.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:22 pm

What a hoot cutting steel. Lot's of noise, sparks, and macho flowing. So far so good, my first miter is really tight. Not quite as tight as I could make a cut on my power miter on wood, but close. I find if I just take my time and not let things get too hot...the skillsaw seems to be working fine with a very minimal bit of judicious grinding.

I'll post pics later....Juneaudave
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

cutting steel with a circular saw

Postby doctormap » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:49 pm

I have done this before, and while it takes more time, it does work. My only warning is to be sure to clean out all the sawdust from your saw beforehand to avoid things going up in smoke during the cutting.
doctormap
Teardrop Inspector

cutting steel with a circular saw

Postby doctormap » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:50 pm

I have done this before, and while it takes more time, it does work. My only warning is to be sure to clean out all the sawdust from your saw beforehand to avoid things going up in smoke during the cutting.
doctormap
Teardrop Inspector

Re: cutting steel with a circular saw

Postby angib » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:19 am

Juneaudave wrote:What a hoot cutting steel.

doctormap wrote:............beforehand to avoid things going up in smoke during the cutting.

Awwww, spoilsport! Patting out the flames where your workbench has caught fire while cutting steel is part of the hoot......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets