Frame is tweaked

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Frame is tweaked

Postby GregB » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:49 am

All right frame gurus, am I in trouble here? The MiniBago frame is goofed and I'm not sure if I can level her up easily.
I finally got to spend an entire day cleaning, priming and painting my HF 1740 stretched (from 96" to 113") and augmented frame. The frame (thank goodness) is square but after putting on the axle and wheels, I noticed that it is cupped diagonally; that is, the front left corner and right rear corners are 3/4" higher than their respective opposite buddies on the other side. I will be adding some wood cross members to bolster the support in the middle.
I took it for a ride and except for one wheel that has a very slight shimmy everything tracked straight and true. My thought is to clamp the frame level when mounting the floor and it will hold the corners level after bolting. I have pushed both corners down at the same time and have found that there is currently enough flex for both to move into level with the rest of the frame. So, am I fooling myself or this the best way to coerce the frame to level?
Also, btw, my spray painting finger is numb from 3 cans of primer and 3 cans of Rustoleum.

I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby angib » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 am

I think if it will sink back to level fairly easily then you won't have a problem - the minibago body will be way, way stiffer than the trailer frame.

But the important time will come not when fitting the floor, but when closing up the roof - this is the moment at which the body turns into an enclosed box and when it suddenly acquires a lot of torsional stiffness.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:09 am

Greg,

Probably not too much to worry about, when you are fastening the side walls, just be sure to draw the walls and frame together. There are probably more irregularities like your problem than get mentioned. I too had one corner of my frame that was a little low, it pulled right up without a problem, and that was 2 X 2 X 11ga box. It was no big deal.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:09 am

It looks like you have plates to install stabalizer jacks. Install your stabalizers, level it with them and then build the floor.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Joanne » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:32 am

Sonetpro wrote:It looks like you have plates to install stabalizer jacks. Install your stabalizers, level it with them and then build the floor.

I agree with Steve. Trailers without siderails tend to droop on two opposite corners. That's why almost all utility trailers have sides on them. I would get 4 jack-stands and put one at each corner, then start leveling it from that point. You may need some small shims between the frame and the jack-stand to get the frame level, depending on the flatness of your floor.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby GregB » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:44 am

See, I told myself, "No worries, mate! She'll level up easy." But then I started to worry. I should have known, given the cross section of the frame, there is no way it is going to have any torsional rigidity. Now that the metal work is out of the way, I get to start doing what I do best; butchering wood!

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets