Anyone got a design ( or idea ) for me ?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Anyone got a design ( or idea ) for me ?

Postby Niall » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:54 am

Hi All, i'm new at this and am trying to end up with a 5x10 TD with a dirt bike carrier in front and battery box ect up further again ( towards the ball ). I'm guessing my total length will be around 17ft ( 10 + 3.5 + 3.5 ). The bike weights 275lbs.

If anyone can offer up a design - i'd be thrilled, cuz i'm nearly brain dead over the thoughts of ball weight / axle position !
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dennis T » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:30 am

Look at the design Little Guy has.
www.littleguytrailer.com

Dennis
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 am

I am doing the same thing as you and the boards good friend Andrew helped me design a safe trailer to build a 5x9 Generic Benroy. (see above for the Benroy plans and just modify them)

I will be putting a Honda xr650r and loaded with gas weighs 300 lbish.

I have been trying to attach what he came up for me with no luck. If he doesn't come along soon I will try again when the wife gets home or the 4 year old gets up to show me what I am doing wrong.

Also if you feel comfortable figuring it out, there is a Trailer Balance section in the Design Library. This was a little different than what the others were doing and I wanted Andrews input!

Welcome aboard.

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:52 am

As someone asks this question every so often, I thought it would be worth giving a full reply.

Here is the drawing I did for Elmer:

And here is an amalgamation of the messages I sent to him:

I presume you want the trailer to be safe to tow without the motorcycle on it. This means it must have at least 10% of its weight on the hitch when the motorcycle isn't there. This is fairly easy.

When you load the motorcycle, it adds something like half the weight of the bike onto the hitch and half onto the trailer's axle. So you need a tow vehicle that can take this sort of hitch weight - as you Merkans all drive huge trucks (we Brits know this.... 8)), this shouldn't be a problem!

I have sketched out how I would do this. I have made the whole frame in one piece, but you could separate it into a frame and tongue if you want to, but I think you have to have an A-frame tongue to carry the motorcycle safely. You'll see that I end up with a frame that's 15' long overall and allows the tow vehicle to turn to a sharp angle.

I've checked the balance with and without the bike on board and it's shown in another attached pdf. The hitch weight is around 170lb without the bike and 380lb with it (this is with a 350lb bike). If your tow vehicle and hitch are OK with this sort of load, then I don't see a problem.

Having recently written a web page on how to determine the tongue strength required by the Australian trailer rules, I though I'd run this frame through them. To pass the rule with a 2000lb total trailer weight and a 72" long tongue, the main rails need to be 2" x 3" x 3/16" rectangular tube - this achieves 108% of the required strength. As we have been discussing how these rules are a bit strict, I think I'd be happy with 2" x 3" x 1/8" rectangular tube rails as these achieve 78% of the required strength.

For the bike platform, I've shown:
- two 2" x 2" x 3/16" angles set with a 5" gap between them;
- 1" x 1/4" flat bar 'treads' welded under the angles at 4" spacing.
This gives a ramp on which the bike can be washed down without risk of flooding the trailer!

How's that?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:43 pm

angib wrote:For the bike platform, I've shown:
- two 2" x 2" x 3/16" angles set with a 5" gap between them;
- 1" x 1/4" flat bar 'treads' welded under the angles at 4" spacing.
This gives a ramp on which the bike can be washed down without risk of flooding the trailer!

One suggestion if I may. In place of the flat bar use 3/8" or 1/2" rebar, it is cheap and I've found it to be plenty strong for ramps. Just lay down your angle and lay the rebar on top and put a weld at either end. Works good.
And really for the length of the bike mount 1/8" angle would be plenty for a 350# bike.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby PaulC » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Niall and welcome to the board. The Generic Benroy plans available at the top of this page will be a great starting point for you. Andrew has used that profile in his recommendation. Sorry that no-one is able to do a kit over this side of the pond.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Niall » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:54 pm

wow, what a wealth of information !

many many thanks for all the idea's and design's, my sleep patterns may now return to normality. I've been talking to Steve Frederick about a kit that i could assemble here ( in Aust. ), i'm still debating the idea of building from scratch verses a kit, but whatever way i go, i'll be sure to post some pic's up !

thanks again everyone !

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby Niall » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 pm

In view of all the good advice, steel sizes and general uplifting of my mind ( thanks all ) this is what i've come up with - if anyone can "check" this i'd be most greatful !

Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 am

Niall,

I'm not really sure what this can be 'checked' for - there isn't much detail there. One comment I'd make is that there seem to be a lot of 'bits' in this frame, if those are all frame members - for example, two cross-members is plenty for battery storage.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Niall » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi Andrew,

to much steel ? over the next week or so i'll break the dwg up into what is what . eg. the battery holder is only 25x25x3mm angle. the outer frame and "A" will be 75x50x3mm. the cross members will be 50x50x3mm. i'll make the bike area as you suggested.

The question of checking was in relation to load distribution / ball weight / axle centers.

cheers

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Niall wrote:the outer frame and "A" will be 75x50x3mm. the cross members will be 50x50x3mm.

Now, Niall, this forum has mostly Merkan members and you shouldn't go scaring them with those 'unnatural' metric measurements. 8)
Your 3"x2"x1/8" rails and 2"x2"x1/8" cross members sound fine.

Niall wrote:The question of checking was in relation to load distribution / ball weight / axle centers.

Looks OK - axle centre is at 41% of body from back, which is about right - a bit hitch-light without the bike, but then you've got a heavy A-frame to add up front. Approx 57% of the bike's weight will go on the hitch (the rest on the trailer's axle).

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Niall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks Andrew,

those second opionions (the ones that say "yup, thats ok" always seem to make life less stressful !

Thanks again,

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Now Andrew,

Some of us Merkans are SI-UN-TISTS, we know exactly what all them numbers mean. Now where did I put that damn calculator????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets