Tongue strength (oh no, not again....)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tongue strength (oh no, not again....)

Postby angib » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:55 am

Lens' post about his latest teardrop contained quite a bit of info about the Carry-On (and TSC?) trailer on which it's based and I've been meaning to look at the tongue strength of this trailer, as it's the only widely-available single tongue commercial model.

I'd like to make clear that I'm not going to suggest that this trailer is understrength: just the opposite - it's been around a while, so it must be strong enough or Carry-On would have had lots of customer complaints. Instead I want to see how it rates by those Aussie Rules I've used to make my tongue strength page.

(Thanks to Butterfoot Flies for the photo)

The 3" x 2" x 1/8" reactangular tube tongue provides 102% of the vertical strength that the rules call for and 81% of the horizontal strength. That seems to fit the utility trailer pattern of just about meeting the rules.

But the interesting thing to me is that the 3" x 2" tongue is attached to two 2" angles, not separated very far apart. My calculations show that these will fail at only 21% of the vertical load required by the rules - once the teardrop body is on, it will reinforce the front angle and the failure load goes up to about 29% of the rules. But that's still less than a third of the strength of the tongue itself!

So if these trailers don't often fail, this suggests that the Aussie Rules requirement is well over the top - and Cary Winch will be perfectly entitled to say "That's what I've been telling you all along"!

Sorry to sow doubt and confusion - I'm just thinking out loud at the moment, so any comments will be welcome.

Oh, and Rocky - maybe you didn't need to cut off your tongue....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby BK One » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 am

anjib,

I'm glad you brought this up. I posted earlier about having some reservations about the TSC trailer. I was at my TSC store, checkbook in hand, and changed my mind and bought the HF 1800# model.

I'm sure the TSC trailer is more than adequate, but as a structural engineer I can assure you by looking that the weak link in that trailer's strength is the tongue connection to the frame. Of course it probably still far exceeds the capacity we need for a teardrop. Weld two A-frame braces to the tongue and all these concerns go away.
BK One
Teardrop Builder

Re: Tongue strength (oh no, not again....)

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:50 pm

angib wrote:
Oh, and Rocky - maybe you didn't need to cut off your tongue....

Andrew

Now you tell me! :cry: No, I have always felt that it was too long now I think it is too short. I just don't know if it is because I got used to the way it looked before.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:40 pm

Andrew, Please bear in mind that those regulations were put together in conjunction with a Government Dept. Of course they are going to be over the top. Who ever heard of any Govt. Departments leaving themselves open to litigation intentionally. At least we don't have to jump through hoops like poor old Heikki.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby surveytech » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:59 am

angib wrote:Lens' post about his latest teardrop contained quite a bit of info about the Carry-On (and TSC?) trailer on which it's based and I've been meaning to look at the tongue strength of this trailer, as it's the only widely-available single tongue commercial model.

Andrew

Andrew,
I think those specs in Len's post are from another post on this board.
So if something is incorrect in the specs dont blame Len!

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:00 pm

surveytech wrote:So if something is incorrect in the specs dont blame Len!

As if I would!

The specs for the Carry-On are given on 'Butterfoot Flies' web site: http://www.butterfoot.com/teardrop.htm - my thanks to Butterfoot Flies, whoever you are!

Andrew

OK, I just got it - Butterfoot Flies is in Kissimmee, FL and so is surveytech.....
Last edited by angib on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby surveytech » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:14 pm

angib wrote:
surveytech wrote:So if something is incorrect in the specs dont blame Len!

As if I would!

The specs for the Carry-On are given on 'Butterfoot Flies' web site: http://www.butterfoot.com/teardrop.htm - my thanks to you, whoever you are!

Andrew

YOUR WELCOME.
surveytech
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets