Brand new chassis and it's bouncy - Updated with frame pics!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby jmtk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:34 pm

I just picked up my chassis from the welder! I think he did a fine job and am quite happy with it. (I know I need to post some pics for you all, I’ll try to get that done this weekend!). While towing it home, however, I was taken aback by how much it bounced around. I didn't feel safe going above 35 mph. It’s got a Flexiride axle that’s load rated at 1400 lbs. Should I expect a fair amount of bounciness until I get it loaded down with more weight or is something wrong? I’m estimating the loaded trailer weight when done to be about 850 to 900 lbs.

Jeanette
Last edited by jmtk on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Jeanette, if all you had was a bare frame, then that is not an unexpected result...it should do fine once loaded down with enough weight to actuate the suspension......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sunny16 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Utah's roads aren't that bad! Good to hear a Utahn is still here and still building. I think once you get the wood on it it won't be so bouncy. I pulled my steel frame around the block and never noticed any bouncing but I was more worried about it pulling straight. Now that it is finished it didn't bounce to much on the camping trip last week. Keep working hard!
We'll have to get a Utah Teardrop Campout planned for the future!
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby sunny16 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Make that "another Utahn"........sorry all the others in Utah :oops:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby jmtk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Boy, you guys are quick! MJ - yup, it's just the bare frame, so pretty light. I was hoping that was the problem, so thanks for easing my mind, although my worries won't completely go away until I see it pull nicely at highway speeds.

Sunny - You must have better roads in your neighborhood :) . It did pull straight however, it just bounced up and down a lot if I hit a bump. And I'm still cranking away on this thing! My sidewalls are all built and now that I have a frame, I'll be working on the floor, then I'll slap it all together! I am really looking forward to seeing it come together, instead of in flat pieces in the garage!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:04 am

Jeanette,, I might be wrong, but I really believe you got no problem,,, once the trailer is loaded it will settle down and bounce a lot less,,, Before I put weight on my bare frame it stayed airborn about half the time it was so light,,, now it just wiggles a little when going down the road,,, To ease ya mind ya might get 3 or 4 of ya good friends to get on the trailer,,, tell them its an early hay ride with a twist,,, just kidding of course,,If you are still worried you could strap some weight on the back and go for a short spin,,

hang in thar,, butcher some wood,,, you dont have any problem ,,,,,yet,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jmtk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:43 am

Chip, Your reply was the sort of thing I was hoping to hear, of others with a similar experience. Sounds good that it settled down for you. The first tow of mine was from the builder's back to my work, taking all residential roads (I never pulled any trailer before in my life, so wanted to avoid as much traffic as possible :) ). Then I made the first post to this thread. On my way home, I had to take the freeway. Turns out it towed a lot better. I guess that road is a lot smoother. I comfortably had it up to 60 mph and it didn't rattle around at all. I'm feeling better now :)

Thanks for your reply!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:53 pm

My wife was terrified about driving the car (her car) with the trailer attached. I wanted to take some pictures so I made her drive it from one end of the campground to the other. When she got back she said, "I couldn't even tell it was back there."

I can't say it is the same as driving without a trailer (because it isn't) but it not something to worry about. Just be mindful not to follow too closely and that you will need extra stopping distance. Backing up is a different story though, it just takes practice.

BTW: my experiences are the same. When towing the bare frame it bounced all over the place. The heavier it got the smoother the ride became. I think it also takes a little while for the rubber rods in the axle to break-in so they aren't so stiff.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jmtk » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:31 am

Thanks for the reply, Rocky. Sounds like it ought to be smooth sailing once I get more weight on it.

And for Madjack (and everyone else who luvs da pics) here they are! First thing I did after I pulled it up into the yard was to have my husband hold up a sidewall. It's riding pretty high right now at 17.5" from the ground to the bottom of the tubing, but I figure that ought to drop a bit once it gets loaded up and broken in. If it doesn't drop far enough, hey, it's a Flexiride! I'll adjust it!

Here's a few more shots. I'll give extra credit to anyone that can name the Bionicle my son is holding.

I was loving everything about the frame until I saw this first thing this morning:
The builder made a point that the tubing would be welded shut to keep out water, and it was, till someone drilled 4 darn holes to run the wires for the rear tail lights! He had a young guy doing the wiring, and my guess is that he just drilled a few holes without thinking too hard about it. Now I'm debating what to do. Should I haul it back and have him weld shut those holes and reroute the wire, or can I safely seal them up myself somehow?

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:07 am

jmtk wrote:or can I safely seal them up myself somehow?

Silicone caulk, or some other kind of caulk should do the trick. My frame has holes in it where I riveted the cable clamps. Also has holes where the bolts run thru the tubing to hold the body.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby emiller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Even with no holes it will condensate on the inside of the tubing. Best to let it breath.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Jeanette,
    Recalling an earlier thread on how you might mount your axle, it would be interesting to see a pic. 8)
    Lookin' good. :thumbsup:
    Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wmercier » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:47 pm

I have a light motorcycle trailer that bounces all over the place when pulled empty. As soon as I load my 800 pound Harley on it you can’t tell that the trailer is even in tow. Trust everyone that this bouncing problem will go away with some weight on the axle.

Here’s a tip to help you with backing a trailer. Grab the steering wheel at the bottom rather then the top and the trailer will go in the direction your hand moves the wheel. Sure beats the confusing method of turning the wheel from the top the opposite direction you want the trailer to go. (Did I explain that correctly ? ? ?)
WR
wmercier
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:51 pm

The same goes for trucks. I was just reading an article comparing 1 ton duallys. They said that the ride was terrible with no load but not bad when loaded up. I need a 1 ton dually to pull my teardrop right? Just kiddin' I need it to tow our other aluminum trailer.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:03 pm

JMTK....I wouldn't sweat the wires in the tube issue....look at it this way...they won't get torn out from some errant stick when off road...but I would just squirt some black silicone on the opening to stop the wires from working back and forth in the hole, or a small rubber grommet...although not a big issue, probably a non issue in fact, but a potential for a short in the future...a small blob of sealant will stop any wire movement and reduce insulation chafing...just a thought...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets