Harbor Freight Trailer size, weight, and plans

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Harbor Freight Trailer size, weight, and plans

Postby caryeastwood » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm brand new to this site and I have a couple of questions that, more than likely have been asked before.

I see Harbor Freight has several weight capacity size 48X96 trailers. What weight capacity is minimum.

There is now a 60X96 trailer. Is it easy to adapt plans to fit the trailers?

Thanks.
caryeastwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Will Smith » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Cary it's my guess there are some plans already drawn up for that size. I dunno where these plans might be but you might could start here:
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm
Benefit mankind, use your screen saver for something useful. More information here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Will Smith
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:28 am

Cary,

Is it the trailer with all the metal going up the sides? I think we talked about that in another thread. You'd have to cut all the metal off. I think it's do-able. I need to go look at that trailer again.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 am

I just took another look. The HF 5x8 is a landscaping trailer. You'd have to cut off all the excess waste. And it's $499

The Red Trailer 5x8 is a folding trailer. And it's only $439.
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=4

I would start with the Red Trailer as the baseline, and try to improve from there...

Mike...

P.S. See what you can get from Tractor Supply built by Carry-On Corp
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Endo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:49 pm

mikeschn wrote:I just took another look. The HF 5x8 is a landscaping trailer. You'd have to cut off all the excess waste. And it's $499

Mike,

Are you sure you would have to cut off the sides? The trailer is a bolt together. It looks like the sides bolt on. I think you could just leave them off.

It is $499.99 but with the 20% off coupon it's not a bad deal ($399.99).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747

I may pick one up for my next build. I think I could find some use for all the extra steel from the sides and the ramp. Almost enough steel to build a second trailer. :lol:

http://www.billt.com/harborfreightcoupons.htm
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Endo wrote:I think I could find some use for all the extra steel from the sides and the ramp. Almost enough steel to build a second trailer. :lol:

No way am I standing idly by while this reverse hijack is attempted.

We have already had an extensive and, I'm proud to say, pretty silly discussion about what to do with that extra steel on a HF 5x8.

Andrew :question:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby joeltc » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:35 am

Where do you get the 20% off coupon. Am I just unlucky or does my mail carrier not like me??
joeltc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Endo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 am

joeltc wrote:Where do you get the 20% off coupon. Am I just unlucky or does my mail carrier not like me??

Try this link:
http://www.billt.com/harborfreightcoupons.htm

8) :) 8) :)
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:11 am

This trailer is looking better all the time...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Coupons? Quality?

Postby sean » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Red Trailer's 5x8 is $439 plus $85 shipping. Harbor Freight's price sounds pretty good, especially if I can pick it up at the local store. Do those 20% off coupons work at the store itself or just through mail order? Has anyone used a coupon lately? They haven't seemed to be offered lately.

Also, has anyone compared the specs of the HF 5x8 to the RT 5x8 to see how the HF 5x8 would work with the Generic Benroy Plans?
sean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:23 am

The 20% off coupon is usually an in-store coupon only, not mail order.
-----
Is that h/f 5x8 made of angle iron, does anyone know? That would make it a bit tougher to use than the C-channel 4x8.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:59 pm

AngiB mentioned several of the advantages.

angib wrote:Several things to note from the trailer's product manual:

- The bed appears to be 95" long by 57-1/2" wide - so no cutting is required to overhang the sides over the frame.

- The side rails are in one piece - so no sacrificing a cross member to join them together.

- The leaf spring has separate front and back brackets that are bolted to the frame - moving the axle position will be child's play.

- The illustration shows 5 lug nuts - so it may be easy to change wheels for those guys whose macho factor can't take being seen with 12" wheels.......

I have a few more:

-A-frame tongue for strength when doing bad things like backing up a curb while turned (I have trouble hitting my driveway).

-2" coupler instead of 1-7/8" which works better for those with other 2" trailers.

-One piece lengthwise rails (already mentioned by Angi) mean stiffer for less weight than two-piece.

-Frame is C-Channel as shown in the instructions:
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets