Sketchup on the iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Sketchup on the iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Postby pebo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 pm

No not the program, but the drawings. I found an app called Cubits that will let you download anything from the Google 3D Warehouse or export your own drawing as a 3D model in KMZ format. It's very slick and once you have the model in there you can, Rotate it by using a single finger, Pan by using two finger and pinch to zoom in and out. You can get it to any position and snap a shot of it that goes to your Camera roll.
I first tried it with a model of an Adirondack Chair that I had drawn. I exported it directly into my DropBox folder. Opened DropBox picked the file then exported it to Cubits and in less than a minute I was moving it around and rotating it much more smoothly than you can even do on the PC.
Next I tried my very detailed Canned Ham model which is 26.5mg in the SketchUp format and was 10.5mg in KMZ format, which I figured was a good test, even my computer can have trouble with it sometimes. It went right into DropBox of course but I had to try 4 or 5 times to get it over to Cubits, once there it spins around with hardly any lag at all, it is amazing actually. I was able to zoom in until I was actually inside the camper and spin around and look at the inside as well. I have it on a 4th gen iPod Touch and on that screen the picture quality is extremely sharp, you can zoom in on the tiniest area and see it in great detail. I can only imagine how nice it would be on an iPad.
I am sure it isn't a must have for everyone but if you enjoy designing as I do and you would like to have your designs in your pocket to be able to show to someone and discuss them while being able to zoom into the details and rotate around for different views this one is for you. It's not perfect but I think it is certainly worth the $5 I spent on it.
The one thing I would have liked to have seen would be the ability to turn the layers on and off but it doesn't do that. Whatever layers are on when you export from SketchUp is the way it is in Cubits, so if I wanted to discuss particular view with someone then I would have to export that view as well.
Peter
pebo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sketchup on the iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Postby GrumpyGrizzly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:58 am

I actually have a version of Autocad that runs fines on my Samsung tablets. I signed up as a beta tester a while back and they never have charged me to use it. It's even compatible with my Meica Disto Laser Distance devices where I can draw a line on the tablet with my finger, walk over to a wall, put the Disto on the wall, point at the next wall and as soon as I push the button, it changes the squiggly line I drew into a straight line at exactly the length of the distance between the two.

I also run Autocad 2010 on my Laptop and using DWG Trueview, I can save a newer version back to 2010 and go about my changes.

I won't u pgrade my 2010 because now a days Autodesk charges an annual subscription and after using it for a year, it stops working until you upgrade again. They don't make enough changes from one year to the next to warrant me blowin over $1,000 a year to have the newest version..

And saying that, I use AutoCad for my own business of drawing plans for people building houses, mother-in-law cottages, pole barns, etc..
GrumpyGrizzly
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sketchup on the iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Postby Tyrtill » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 am

Since this thread is reawakened you can do sketchup on ios now with layers and everything with the sketchup viewer app.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Return to CAD secrets