"Free Land" ....no joke

Alaska

"Free Land" ....no joke

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 pm

"Are you tired of the hustle and bustle of the Lower 48, crime, poor schools and the high cost of living?" ... "Make your new home in the Last Frontier!"
    Anderson is home to the annual 'Anderson Bluegrass Festival' on the Nenana River.
    Fred
    :peace:
    (Note error - Anderson is Southeast of Fairbanks. Not Northeast.)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Sounds great if you are ready to retire, but what if you have to work for the next 15 years??? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:19 am

I just saw this story on the news here. They said the down side is it can reach 60 below zero.
I think I'll stay here. It cold but not that cold. :snow
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:22 am

Sixty below is the point where exposed skin freezes. I have been in wind chills that bad in Kansas City. My down coat barely slowed it down. Fortunately it was to my ankles.

Wonder if they need a couple of Missouri nuts. Mike would just love it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 am

It should only take about 8 cords a year to heat a small cabin.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary K » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:48 am

Oh man, That would be the life....BIG long coats, frozen skin, no trees... ahh.. some folks are lucky...

Seriously, if I could afford I'd do it. Just move north... the heat does get to ya after awhile :?

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Gone...

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:48 pm

........................ Going Going GONE ................................
    The days of free land in Alaska are virtually over. The only entity to occasionally part with titled land is the state - usually remote. Only less then 2% of Alaska is held privately. The Anderson deal is unique, in that it is on the road & rail system and has an airport, no property taxes and those lots have electricity. Sure, there are options without it. Use your imagination. Taking your battery inside every night and hauling out the propane weed burner to warm the engine in order to get to work in the morning. Instead of plugging in the engine/battery heaters. :?
    I would guess that Anderson has few rules. Lot line setback, minimum size, ect. But, that there are no codes on things like how many vehicles in the yard, construction codes or inspections. Alaskans are pretty independent that way. 8)
    Mike - Alaska has a young population and the state, in general, is growing in most every respect. We're not all old reclusive cabin dwellers, smelling of smoke, fish guts and dog poop. :lol:
    I don't see any problem finding work. Anyone in the trades or with most professional credentials can find good work. It may take some patience learning where they are & jumping through the hoops. Some jobs you can step right into. Healthcare & public safety go begging. It's a resource, military & tourism state. (one that BTW - IMHO is still a colonial territory and should be an independent nation.)
    Only limited specialized manufacturing related to the above. Some of it quite interesting.
    The Clear missile tracking (and other things :shhh: TOP SECRET) station is a short bike ride from Anderson. More pics & Clear info: www.clear.af.mil/wilderness.htm
    It is not uncommon for Alaskans to live in the place of their choice and to work on a seasonal basis or all year on a rotation at a different place.
    From Anderson a commute north to Fairbanks or south to Healy or McKinley may not seem unreasonable, considering what I hear about some other places. Not much traffic and fine scenery! Stop and fish, trap or hunt on the way home. 8)
    Miriam - All that 60 below noise is simply typical Alaskan exaggeration of statistics. ;)
Oh man, That would be the life....BIG long coats, frozen skin, no trees... ahh.. some folks are lucky...

Seriously, if I could afford I'd do it. Just move north... the heat does get to ya after awhile
    There are so many trees that even Bledsoe would never run out of firewood. :lol:
    Sounds like from the News Miner article that you may get another chance.
    GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:
    Fred
    :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Gone...

Postby Mary K » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:18 am

alaska teardrop wrote:And Mary - Look --> www.anderson.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_LOC&SEC={FAE9D5CD-9F3E-448B-8501-645A9A557C2B}There are so many trees that even Bledsoe would never run out of firewood. :lol: Sounds like from the News Miner article that you may get another chance. GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link. I saved it under favorites just to have a looksee every now and then... It is very tempting. The prices for houses and land for sale are amazing. I have a 1,200 sq ft house on a lot 80 x 100 yds I could sale and buy a bigger house and a lot more land there.

But I have an AWESOME retirement plan with the job I have now. I'd be an idiot to leave it.

Give me 15 years to retire and I'll be ready.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Return to Alaska