Zigs Alaska Website and Blog

Alaska

Zigs Alaska Website and Blog

Postby Zig » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Zig
Teardrop Advisor

We are back home!

Postby Zig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 am

We are back home! The Little Guy and the Vibe worked out fine. The door had a little leak every time it rained while driving. I kept having to pull mattress out to dry, but other then that,... Little Guy was all good. The Vibe did good pulling the teardrop. I'm having a hard time converting liters into American gallons,... but my scan-gauge said that we had most days averaged above 26 mpg!
Everybody was interested in the teardrop. Most asked question was,... do you sleep in there? Every time I would see somebody leering around, I would just wave them over and we showed them the camper. I think I could have sold it several times.
I want to thank every one here for the good advice. Taking the Little Guy out on a such big trip on the first time out was a bit of a gamble, but it really worked out great! :applause:
If you have time check out our web site, link to our blog and photo page.
http://www.campinggills.com
Zig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:48 am

...MOST EXCELLENT :thumbsup: glad to hear it all worked out and you went there and back with no real problems...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 am

Hi, Zig:

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Of course, the teardrop worked out fine but, now that you've done it, would you have been more comfortable in the truck and camper?

Do you have any regrets? Is there one thing you would have taken along, had you known better?

Someone had said your car and tear would get dinged up on those Alaskan roads? Did they suffer very many dings? (That one picture of the dirty teardrop was amazing!)

Thanks again and glad you had a good time! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Zig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Hi, Zig:

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Of course, the teardrop worked out fine but, now that you've done it, would you have been more comfortable in the truck and camper?

Do you have any regrets? Is there one thing you would have taken along, had you known better?

Someone had said your car and tear would get dinged up on those Alaskan roads? Did they suffer very many dings? (That one picture of the dirty teardrop was amazing!)

Thanks again and glad you had a good time! :thumbsup: :applause:

I think getting in and out of bed would have been easier. No regrets, the Little Guy and Vibe was a perfect match. We packed too much. The porta pottie was never used or really needed. Didnt have time to cook, the stove was not used. The sun tent was only used once and should have been left home. Portable shower & shower tent, never used. Nope didnt forget anything. Would have been nice to have a shoe storage box to store my shoes in, but no one here said that until we was in the middle of nowhere. LOL.
The Vibe took some hits, I think we have a small windshield chip. Every time we filled up I had a little smile on my face. The fenders on the little Guy took a lot. They were nice and smooth and shiny, but now look like they were sand blasted. The Vibe rear wheels lined up perfect and everything that they kicked up hit the outside of Little Guys fenders.
There was a few other teardrops up there. One guy I talked with has a T@B that he was pulling with a KIA Sportage 4 cyl. He was wondering if he could make it up the hill going out of town. LOL
Zig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 pm

A shoe box! That reminder will probably help a lot of people! :thumbsup:

I remember someone saying that it was important to put mud flaps/guards on the tow vehicle. It would be interesting to know if you had them on your Vibe. If you don't have 'em, I'll bet you'll get 'em!

Thanks for the info!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Zig » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Well we been back home for two months now and still cant get over that we actually did it! Back to work, glad we still have a job. I think just traveling the "Alaska Highway" was the best part. We drove the whole highway. I liked Fairbanks and the North Pole.
With the better then average gas mileage I'm surprised that more people dont go in their teardrops? A economical way to go. The destination is perfect as the weather never gets to hot and never need A/C. So give your teardrop the ultimate test, get a passport and head North!
Zig
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Alaska