Trip to Alaska...

Alaska

Trip to Alaska...

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:25 am

While we are on the subject of Alaska, did you guys ever see Dave and Junes trip to Alaska in a CampInn? Cary has it on his website, here:
http://home.centurytel.net/edevold/alaska1.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Alaska Trip

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 am

Mike:

Reading and seeing the pic's from their trip is what tripped this Tripp into looking into Tear's.

They met a guy Herman Zapp and his wife in this old car (1928 Graham Paige) from Argentina on day 13 on the 16th of August. That link don't work any more and it was a great escape following Zapp's travels from Argentina to Alaska via the bottom 48. I wish the link worked still. The travels of that young couple as well as Dave and June was the hook line and sinker for my decision to get a Tear.

Thanks for reminding me.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Betsey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:41 am

Here is another link with journal entries of the Zapp's trip. Unfortunately, the photos do not come through with it, but the reading is interesting.

http://heartbeatofthenorth.com/index.php?articleID=1999&sectionID=75
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby skacutter » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:34 pm

I love seeing stories like this. retired couple, budget, trip across Alaska....it would make a great movie :applause:
please visit the Kasperwing site and click on the teardrop trailer link
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby tupelosue » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:13 pm

I googled Herman Zapp, and found lots of links with their story. Pretty interesting!

this link had some good pics of their car

http://members.shaw.ca/rjsill/sar.htm

:D
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Hello, All

As I said before Herman & Candelaria Zapp of Argentina
as well as Dave & June Wentworth from Gonvick, Minnesota;
travels to Alaska got into my imagination.

Hook line and sinker for my decision to get a Teardrop

1928 Graham Paige touring car

They had an adventure that came to life in my imagination ! :thinking:
Can you imagine a rig like this pulling your Teardrop to Alaska?

I found this link from National Public radio (NPR) you will have to
use Windows media player to hear of the
Radio interview of Herman Zapp and I wanted to share it with you.

Herman and his wife had a baby on this trip from Argentina to Alaska as well.
Here is a radio link when they got to Alaska

Two dreamers chuck it, go see world

I enjoyed talking to an Argentinian couple (Herman/Candelaria Zapp) who drove 42,000 miles up to Alaska in an old 1928 Graham Paige touring car made in Detroit. This 3 1/2 year DREAMCHASER JOURNEY over the three Americas was quite a feat. They went on the backroads about 30 mph and only had one flat which was in Mississippi. It was fitting that this "pioneer couple" ended their journey in "the last frontier" state. (Excerp - from this Blog http://nowelltravels.blogspot.com/ )

Other links of Zapp trip.
http://tinyurl.com/rb8xu
http://tinyurl.com/qbdqx
http://tinyurl.com/nj7qy
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Things we want to know but are afraid to ask.....

Postby Parker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Maybe this post belongs in a more general section. Anyway, my wife and I really enjoyed reading the account of Dave and June's trip to Alaska. We're thinking of something similar for retirement and are beginning to get ideas for what kind of trailer we might want. Presently, we have a 4'X8' Little Guy Retro with the 10'X10' tent which provides for a living/eating/stashing stuff space, and also a place for the the Pett portapot at night. This is a really fun setup for camping when we plan to be in place more than one night, but it seems like it would be a hassle for moving every day. So we're thinking of something like a T@B or even slightly larger (the new T@DA maybe?) that would have space for some indoor cooking, a shower, toilet, etc. and that would be mostly setup already when we pull into a parking area. We're interested in the experiences folks have with their teardrops when moving daily on a long trip. Maybe we'd be fine for simple overnights without the large tent, using one of the small enclosure for the portapot at night. However, I was stuck by all the times Dave and June camped at Wal-Mart. Somehow I can't see putting up our little pottie tent in the Wal-Mart parking lot, nor can I quite envision trapsing across their lot at night to use indoor the facilities! In any case, I know we'll need something larger than our Little Guy, so the question is whether to stick with a teardrop, which we really enjoy, or go with something containing more "indoor" capabilities. Anyone else pondered this?

Thanks,
Parker
Parker
Donating Member

Re:Trip to Alaska...

Postby Jaclyn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 am

I would love to see Alaska for all the reasons you mentioned. I also imagine in such a remote place the stars at night must be awesome!

----------------------------------
Travel to Las Vegas Magazine
Travel To Switzerland Magazine
Jaclyn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MariahSunset » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 am

Parker,
We just returned from a 8406 mile trip out West, with our teardrop.
When traveling, no need for all the extra stuff. We went to campgrounds every evening by 4 p.m. No need for the portable pot, we picked campground with a bathroom rate of 8.5 to 10 out of a possable 10 in "Trailer Life". Most all were "Good Sams" approved campgrounds.
We have our journey on this website;
www.teardroptraveling.blogspot.com
The journey starts on June 4, 2008. Our motto was "go lite" and skip the chore of set-up :D
Go ahead, get out there and enjoy this beautiful country :)
2007 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra SUV #0183
MariahSunset
Teardrop Builder

Re: Things we want to know but are afraid to ask.....

Postby Betsey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:04 pm

Parker wrote:However, I was stuck by all the times Dave and June camped at Wal-Mart. Somehow I can't see putting up our little pottie tent in the Wal-Mart parking lot, nor can I quite envision trapsing across their lot at night to use indoor the facilities!

Actually, out of the 28 days they were gone, only 4 nights were spent in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Not too bad...

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Alaska