casters for a camping pod?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

casters for a camping pod?

Postby BeaAve » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:24 pm

so I was partially donated a 5/8 trailer and I decided to build a small camping pod for it. Has anyone bolted on heavy duty leveling casters to move the pod on and off the trailer?
BeaAve
Teardrop Inspector

Re: casters for a camping pod?

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:41 am

Are you looking roll the pod on and off the trailer with ramps?
Last edited by Pmullen503 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BeaAve » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:56 pm

It's my thought, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.
BeaAve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:00 pm

:thinking:
Pipe rollers work quite well when needed.

Casters may be a problem moving over the hump
onto the trailer. Then again casters could be a
complication when traveling.
:NC
How will you fasten it in place on the trailer?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BeaAve » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:15 pm

I didn’t think about the hump. I’m not worried about securing it on the trailer; I have a few ideas for that. Either way it will be on skids so the bottom won’t get scuffed and damage the water protection on the bottom. Maybe I’ll just make a separate cart when it’s docked at the house. It still needs to be movable. Thanks
BeaAve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 pm

:thinking: There was a guy who did just what you want to do. I can't find the thread but, if I remember correctly, he used 4 wheelie-jacks, 2 on each side, one set near the front (outside) and one set near the back (outside), to slide the trailer cabin on and off the trailer bed. I don't remember how he secured it once it was on the chassis but that should be pretty easy to figure out as it's most likely just nuts and bolts. Perhaps he used metal cabin tabs with holes that line up with the chassis holes and then bolted it that way. Sorry I don't remember exactly. There is one fellow who still has all that information stored on his computer but he sold his teardrop so may not even sign on to this forum anymore. (I thought I had it but that computer crashed and I hadn't backed that part up. :cry: ) Best wishes...you can do it! It is very possible.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:31 am

There was a guy who built out rigger caster legs that bolted to the side walls of his cabin when in use. The legs reached down and out next to the trailer straddling it kind of like one of those boat lifting rigs you aee at a marina. At that point you could use any sort of caster or wheel/tire arrangement that suits your terrain; but the whole thing seems overly complex to me.

If the box didn't have to be moved around when off the trailer, I would just build a raised cribbing, back up to it and push/drag/come-along it on and off. Skegs are skid runners underneath to act as rub/wear strips and reduce friction. Locking draw latches (the adjustable over toggle style thay many people use to keep their galley hatch secured) to secure to trailer; not necessarily locked with a lock, but at least secured to preclude popping open.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops