Beginners Tool Kit!

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Bought some more tools...Need Router Bits (?)

Postby Alfred » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi Gang,

Tonight I added to my list of tools! I bought a used Craftsman Router, with a Craftsman Router Table, a router/stencil lettering kit, and a Stanley Miter Saw (The miter saw is well made of wood and steel, but manual not powered) from a fellow on Craigslist for $60.00. It all looks to be in good shape, so I am hoping I did OK on the deal. Regardless, I hope it will help with the build. Unfortunately, he did not include any router bits with the deal.

Any advice on where to purchase router bits, the type I need, and how to balance price/quality?

Thanks, Al in Asheville
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:27 am

Gongrats on your good deals...
Any advice on where to purchase router bits, the type I need, and how to balance price/quality?

You could get one of those el cheapo kits from ebay to start with? But, you generally end up with a bunch of bits you never use... and not such good quality... About what you'd expect when you get 30 bits for $39.???

I have had good experiences with bits from Woodline and Grizzly.
I also have some Whiteside bits, and they are the best by far, but not cheap.

http://www.woodline.com/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=161

This basic kit from Grizzly on Amazon.com ain't a bad deal though:
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5599-Rou ... 401&sr=1-1
and here's some more Grizzly's:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A ... zly&page=1

Whiteside bits:
http://www.woodworkersworld.net/
http://www.woodpeck.com/whitesidemain.html
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbit ... router.htm

As for what bits you need for building tears? Prolly a couple roundover bits, a pattern cutting bit with bottom bearing, a slot cutter for joining plywood, and a few profile bits for edge trimming and making molding... come to mind. I'm sure I forgot a few... and I'm sure others will have different ideas on suppliers and favorite bits.

Have fun with your new toy! :thumbsup: :applause:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

mmmm....

Postby Benthosboy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 am

At the risk of sounding like an old woman,(apologies to any old women out there :) ), I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned safety clothing in general and eye protectors in particular :shock: A spot of common sense never went amiss either where power tools are concerned.

You can have all the tools in the world but if you're not using them correctly...... :cry:

As Sgt. Esterhaus used to say, "let's be careful out there"

Martyn.
Once a wazzock, always a wazzock!!
Benthosboy
Teardrop Builder

Re: mmmm....

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 am

Benthosboy wrote:.....I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned safety clothing in general.....

Martyn.

Don't know if they make safety clothes in shorts and sandals?? That's what a large part of the folks on this side of the pond work in, particularly in the southern climes where it can get especially warm. 8) 8)
Safety glasses are a good idea tho...of course I can rarely locate mine. :oops:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Benthosboy wrote:At the risk of sounding like an old woman,(apologies to any old women out there :) ), I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned safety clothing in general and eye protectors in particular :shock: A spot of common sense never went amiss either where power tools are concerned.

You can have all the tools in the world but if you're not using them correctly...... :cry:

As Sgt. Esterhaus used to say, "let's be careful out there"

Martyn.

...safety galsses..I have several pair and wouldn't work without them...i even have a couple of pair that have 2.0 cheaters built into them, so I can see that up close stuff...I am constantly amazed at the folks wearing shorts and sandals when working...especially welding/grinding/cutting steel and then act amazed that they got burned...I guess it proves the old saying..."if your gonna be stupid, you had better be tough"...safety, is job #1 at our shop!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm

madjack wrote:...I am constantly amazed at the folks wearing shorts and sandals when working...especially welding/grinding/cutting steel and then act amazed that they got burned...I guess it proves the old saying..."if your gonna be stupid, you had better be tough"...safety, is job #1 at our shop!!!!
madjack 8)

OK, now I didn't say all the folks down there work that way. 8) :lol: :lol:
But there seems to be no shortage of it around here. :lol: :lol:
BTW I don't grind/weld/cut in shorts either, now I do frequently do all 3 in a sleeveless t-shirt. 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby looped » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 am

Question about flush cut router bits.

In cutting the sides i will be using a thin (~1/4") board material pattern for a guide and plan to cut the sides using this and a top bearing flush cut router bit. i have found one that has a 2inch cutting surface. i realise that this is about 1/2" longer than i will need. is there any reason why a top bearing would be a bad idea? i am noticing there is alot more variety of the end bearing models and i am thinking that having the pattern on top would be a better idea. thoughts?
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby ArtMini » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm

and don't for get the ball bearings , every things done with ball bearings these days .... (Chevy Chase - Fletch)

Laredo wrote:well, at a minimum you should have a hammer, brace and bits, a keyhole saw, a regular wood saw, one large and two small screwdrivers, a wood rasp and a really good plane, and all the clamps you can find.

bits, nails or screws, rags, glue, varnish or paint, and your choice of wood, of course.

being not merely cheap but frugal, I'd consider getting as much as possible secondhand. Estate sales rather than garage sales, generally, though.

In lieu of some clamps for some applications, Steve Frederick uses weights. This is handy, as you can sub in heavy objects you already have around (boxes or jugs of laundry soap, cat litter, etc.)
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PanelDeland » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am

Uhhhh, I read this and really did not think about safety until the safety glasses came up.They are not optional!
How nice your trailer looks doesn't matter if you can't see it.By the same token some power tools make noise,grinders and others can damage your hearing.Even wearing hearing protection i have lost some ability to hear over the years.Since most don't build to hear the compliments,they are still nice to Hear![/b]
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Rigsby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 am

Ive only had a quick look through the thread, and i havnt seen the most important piece of kit you will need
------A PENCIL--------

and dont fotget at least 20 spares as the pencil fairy will invariably move them every time you put one down :x
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby Mini Renegade » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Rigsby wrote:Ive only had a quick look through the thread, and i havnt seen the most important piece of kit you will need
------A PENCIL--------

and dont fotget at least 20 spares as the pencil fairy will invariably move them every time you put one down :x

I bought a pack of 10 carpenters flat pencils from Poundstretcher/Instore for £1, can`t find any of em now!!

Dont forget to buy a BIG set square, and make sure it`s an expensive one that is square, I bought a cheap 2 foot long one that was nearly 1/4 inches out at the top!!
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby jakie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 pm

With certain tools, there is a critical mass, meaning, if you do not have that magic number of said item, you cannot find any of them. For example, I find that if I do not have 3 tape measures in the house, I cannot find ONE! I emagine for something like pencils, that dozen is probably just barely critical mass :lol:
I was going to build a gen benroy....now...foamie here I come
jakie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Senior Ninja » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

:D

And don't forget a nice tv with attached cable service showing Discovery, History, and the Military Channel. You can't work all the time and I can't stand for long periods of time. (stood for forty two years teaching school) Had may time outs in a very nice glider chair w/ glider foot stool.
Steve

8)
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Mini Renegade wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Ive only had a quick look through the thread, and i havnt seen the most important piece of kit you will need
------A PENCIL--------

I bought a pack of 10 carpenters flat pencils from Poundstretcher/Instore for £1, can`t find any of em now!!

Dont forget to buy a BIG set square, and make sure it`s an expensive one that is square, I bought a cheap 2 foot long one that was nearly 1/4 inches out at the top!!

Somewhere in here or the first thread there is a suggestion for using a bunch of throw away mechanical pencils. 8) Bunches cause you will break, crush and loose them all. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby savage_721 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 pm

jakie wrote:With certain tools, there is a critical mass, meaning, if you do not have that magic number of said item, you cannot find any of them. For example, I find that if I do not have 3 tape measures in the house, I cannot find ONE! I emagine for something like pencils, that dozen is probably just barely critical mass :lol:

with me its electrical tape i have at least 15 rolls in the house but when i need them i can't find a single one
savage_721
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops