Air Tight Teardrops can KILL YOU

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

A/C as a vent.

Postby ubear7 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Does anyone think that a permanently installed A/C vented through the floor will allow enough ventilation? Both when on and off. The vent are 4"x20" each. One for intake one for exhaust.
1998 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4, 2006 Dutchmen Denali 33rlbs
ubear7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I think that would be plenty.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Re: A/C as a vent.

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:14 pm

ubear7 wrote:Does anyone think that a permanently installed A/C vented through the floor will allow enough ventilation? Both when on and off. The vent are 4"x20" each. One for intake one for exhaust.

you may find condensation a problem if the ac is off and you don't keep the fan running without any vents in or near the roof. with a few small ones up high the heat you produce will pull more cool dryer air in the bottom, otherwise you are under a solid dome, you won't suffocate but you will wake up with everything sticky damp feeling.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Airtight Teardrop Can Easily Suffocate You

Postby jmedclay » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I bumped into this thread by accident, only because of the title, while looking for something unrelated. I had wondered about this in the context of being all sealed up with the AC running, and wasn't comfortable with the idea. I also thought that without the AC I ought to keep adequate ventilation by cracking the windows and roof vent. Still, I could forget or rationalize to the point of screwing up on a cold night; and thats the point I'm trying to make. Even folks who might have thought about this issue could make the mistake, absent clear information of this type. This sticky, and the excellent title, ought to go a long way towards reinforcing the need for good ventilation. I will add some sort of non-close-able hi/low vent combination on my TD, not small, and still crack the windows/roof vent. I also suggest a short bullet list, at the front of any TD plans listing, say, the 4 most dangerous things to address in building and using a TD. Ventilation, proper wiring and circuit protection devices come to mind, all in huge text and the most straightforward language, like a bucket of cold water in the face.
jmedclay
Teardrop Master

Postby 72FJ40 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 am

Glad to see this information. Being a new comer, I am reading everything.

Though the title is focused on the TD style, the warning applys to all styles. I have seen some small cargo conversions mentioned; and reference to more than two sleeping in them.

Someone mentioned early that a TD has approx 100 cubic feet of air space; that gives only 21 cubic feet of oxygen. Air is 78% nitrogen and 21% O2. A 5'x8' cargo with 6' height has only 240 cubic feet of air and 50 cubic feet of O2. My 6'x10' cargo with 6' height has 360 air and 76 O2.
72FJ40
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rick G » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Carbon monoxide is from an open flame or an internal combustion engine. Human beings use the oxygen in the air and breath out carbon dioxide. Given the chance either one will kill you
Rick G
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:16 pm

madjack wrote:NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER sleep in a completely closed up trailer...even in cold weather, we leave the top vent opened a bit, along with the door windows opened slightly as well...since, most all of our camping is in parks with shore power, we use a small ceramic heater set on low and sleep quite well...TYVM..................................
madjack 8)
...Exactly! Those of us who live in the north are used to sub zero weather, so, 40 degrees is tshirt weather..lol..Buy quality sleeping bags and ALWAYS leave the vents cracked.. :worship:
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:17 am

OK, taking on this problem, I have come up with a non-closable solution I think. Louvered soffit vents, (2), back to back with the wall, door, etc, as the sandwich.. they come in 2 sizes, 4x16 and a bigger size..the neat thing is they are paintable and come with insect screens already attached to the back, and they are CHEAP,,I bought some and painted them gloss black and they will be installed on my latest build* see "78" teardrop build in the build journal forum..Danny
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:36 am

Into my 4x7 ultra light trailer I have limited it to 1 door and 2 small windows. I have been looking towards tongue mounted a/c that would be easily removable. I also have been looking at 3 - 4 " pvc duct work as intake and exhaust perhaps natural unpowered ventilation is more of an answer something as simple as a couple floor intakes and a few of these.....

Image [ available in 1 2 and 3" diameter ]

placed high in the sidewall the warm air current would take advantage of thermal lift and would exhaust drawing in more air thru the "floor registers"
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ISeenBigFoot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm

you people are somewhat silly. ive slept in an isuzu rodeo more than two months with all windows rolled up tight no problem. ive even slept for more than 13 hours with no problem, minus the occasional get up to go pee. carbon monoxide poisoning is blown way outta proportion. there is the for sure safe way of making sure everything is ok, but for the most part, quit bitchin and enjoy the scenery
ISeenBigFoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Automobiles are NOT airtight by design. We try to use the same precautions in designing teardrops. Even if there were enough oxygen in an airtight trailer to get you through the night, the condensation would be quite a pain.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:41 pm

ISeenBigFoot wrote:you people are somewhat silly. ive slept in an isuzu rodeo more than two months with all windows rolled up tight no problem. ive even slept for more than 13 hours with no problem, minus the occasional get up to go pee. carbon monoxide poisoning is blown way outta proportion. there is the for sure safe way of making sure everything is ok, but for the most part, quit bitchin and enjoy the scenery

Boy you just don't get it. Just another 'Knowitall' that knows nothings. I would like for you to seal up your trailer nice and tight (make it air tight) and then sleep in it for more than 8 hours. Then please come back and give us a report. :shock:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:18 pm

ok, lets all play nice, or we'll be deleting replies.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm

eaglesdare wrote:ok, lets all play nice, or we'll be deleting replies.
I'm playing nice. Just stating some facts. :o ......... ;)

P.S. Thank you for the warning.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mrsanderson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 pm

[quote="ISeenBigFoot"] ive slept in an isuzu rodeo more than two months with all windows rolled up tight no problem. ive even slept for more than 13 hours with no problem, minus the occasional get up to go pee.

wouldn't getting out of the vehicle automatically refresh the Oxygen content of the vehicle?? Your experience is your experience but when I bought my homebuilt, the owner advised us to ALWAYS leave a vent open as he and his wife woke up panting in the middle of the night...just good advice as far as my .02 goes.
5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics
mrsanderson
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops