Air Tight Teardrops can KILL YOU

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby DragonFire » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

I'd rather be silly than dead. Just not going to take the chance.

And, yes, cars are not air tight, and if you open the door you will re-oxygenate your sleeping quarters. I've slept in my Celica before, and didn't have any problems, but the fresh air vent was open. Cars just aren't that airtight. Not like some of these teardrops!

This sticky is a warning..if you chose to ignore it, do it at your own risk. We are all adults here. But live and let live.
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Jim Edgerly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 am

I know I would feel really bad if I talked someone out of doing something that later cost them their life. I know personally that I have trouble breathing when it is stuffy. If I were to duck my head under a comforter I would be gasping for air in less than a minute, and in pretty much a full panic in under three minutes as I am claustrophobic. I like the feel of fresh air and will always sleep in The Shack with a cracked window. If you don't believe you will have problems in a closed camper then fine, close your camper up tighter than a coffin...but please don't put a lot of effort into talking other people out of doing something that may save their lives.
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
***If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Re: Air Tight Teardrops can KILL YOU

Postby stugpanzer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 am

WOW! For some reason I never thought of that! I am in the planning stages and parts acquisition phase before I start my build in about 3 or 4 weeks. Because of your post, I am ordering two of these to mount in the roof: http://sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=81

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-81300-Stainless-Steel-Solar/dp/B000BYNGLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1331694860&sr=1-1

This forum never ceases to amaze me!
Last edited by stugpanzer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stugpanzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc toys » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am

I am going to get me a couple of those also I like the look of the and there is not a vent on my trailer. Thanks for posting web page.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re:

Postby mckenney56 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am

bobhenry wrote:Into my 4x7 ultra light trailer I have limited it to 1 door and 2 small windows. I have been looking towards tongue mounted a/c that would be easily removable. I also have been looking at 3 - 4 " pvc duct work as intake and exhaust perhaps natural unpowered ventilation is more of an answer something as simple as a couple floor intakes and a few of these.....

Image [ available in 1 2 and 3" diameter ]

placed high in the sidewall the warm air current would take advantage of thermal lift and would exhaust drawing in more air thru the "floor registers"

What is that vent called when I go to a Lowes or Menards looking for it? And does it have a built in bug screen? And is it cheap?
mckenney56
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Re:

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm

mckenney56 wrote:
bobhenry wrote:Into my 4x7 ultra light trailer I have limited it to 1 door and 2 small windows. I have been looking towards tongue mounted a/c that would be easily removable. I also have been looking at 3 - 4 " pvc duct work as intake and exhaust perhaps natural unpowered ventilation is more of an answer something as simple as a couple floor intakes and a few of these.....

Image [ available in 1 2 and 3" diameter ]

placed high in the sidewall the warm air current would take advantage of thermal lift and would exhaust drawing in more air thru the "floor registers"

What is that vent called when I go to a Lowes or Menards looking for it? And does it have a built in bug screen? And is it cheap?

I looked at Lowe's and couldn't find anything smaller than a 3" soffit vent. Another member on here pointed me towards this website....

https://ventmastersstore.com/shop/small ... -c-23.html

All sorts of shapes and sizes! Cheap too. Fast shipping as well. :beer:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby dguff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I like some fresh air while sleeping and do use the windows and roof vent but I am of the opinion that the thread title is a little over the top. Is there an actual, documented case which can be verified that anyone has died in a teardrop from the lack of ventilation? Ever? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 pm

dguff wrote:I like some fresh air while sleeping and do use the windows and roof vent but I am of the opinion that the thread title is a little over the top. Is there an actual, documented case which can be verified that anyone has died in a teardrop from the lack of ventilation? Ever? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerome

:roll:

Did you even read the very first post of the thread?

parnold wrote:I woke up in the middle of the night, gasping for air. I was breathing heavy like I'd just run a marathon, ok, well in my shape, run up the stairs. I opened the roof vent, and cracked the door for air, and slept the rest of the night fine.

His gasping for air was his body going into survival mode when it was starved for oxygen and inundated with other gasses such as carbon dioxide. Fortunately Paul didnt become the statistic you are seeking out.

Put a large plastic bag over your head and try to breathe. You'll see the results (known as suffocation) almost immediately. Any airtight compartment will have the same effect. The size of the compartment will determine your survival time.

Can an asteroid hit the Earth and destroy the entire planet? Sure it can, but it doesn't have to happen for us to know that it can. :scratchthinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:04 pm

dguff wrote:I like some fresh air while sleeping and do use the windows and roof vent but I am of the opinion that the thread title is a little over the top. Is there an actual, documented case which can be verified that anyone has died in a teardrop from the lack of ventilation? Ever? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerome

Probably the lack of oxygen, or excess of carbon dioxide would wake anyone during sleep like it did me. But I am not a doctor, so I don't know if this is 100% true. But why take the chance, and why not warn people about it.
parnold
Donating Member

Re:

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Dale M. wrote:You understand why they poke holes in the boxes you use to take pets home from pet shop don't you....

Same principle in people box..... Get 'lectric drill out an poke some holes.... Just kidding...

Yes carbon monoxide/dioxide poisoning is real, glad you are here to ask the right questions....

Dale

You can poke all the holes you want in my cardboard box but please don't poke holes in me.

What is interesting is that it isn't a lack of oxygen that is "distressing/uncomfortable" it is the build up of CO2. You may, in fact, had enough oxygen to get by but the CO2 was built up to the point your body's reaction to it was triggered and your body woke you up. It really doesn't matter though, a build up of CO2 or a lack of O2 will both get you.

Both CO poisoning and Hypoxia (lack of oxygen) are insidious and can kill you without your ever being aware you're about to expire. You probably won't recognize the symptoms until it's too late (as in you've expired and have moved on to the next dimension). This plane crash is a good example. The pilots and all aboard never realized that they weren't getting enough oxygen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South ... rjet_crash

CO poisoning does the same thing because your blood likes to pick up CO more than it does O2 but CO doesn't support life. So you die of a lack of O2 in your blood even though there is more than enough O2 in the air. The end result is you pass out and expire with no warning.

"Sleep with a window cracked" is sound advice.

Cheers,

Gus
Last edited by eamarquardt on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Yes, I read the first post and all of the others. It was a simple question. Has anyone ever died from suffocating in a teardrop trailer due to a build-up of CO2? Not to say that it couldn't happen but just wondering if in the 60 or 70 years of active teardropping if it ever has. I stated that I use my ventilation system and would recommend that everyone should have a fresh air source.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby stugpanzer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Jerome

It seems logical that being in such a small, airtight space without fresh air circulating could cause too much Carbon Dioxide. Watch Apollo 13 which is based on fact's. If NASA thinks that it needs to be taken care of, why shouldn't we. after some googling, even others warn of this. Here's a link to Kuffle Creek regarding air conditioning a Teardrop. Look towards the bottom of the screen and you will see their warning: http://www.kuffelcreek.com/teardrop_a_c.htm

And some REAL facts: http://www.ehow.com/list_6062911_effects-much-carbon-dioxide-blood.html

Here's an interesting site I found called VanDwellers.org. Look at the 3rd and 4th paragraphs under Carbon Monoxide and Gas: http://vandwellers.org/safety.htm
stugpanzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm

dguff wrote:Yes, I read the first post and all of the others. It was a simple question. Has anyone ever died from suffocating in a teardrop trailer due to a build-up of CO2? Not to say that it couldn't happen but just wondering if in the 60 or 70 years of active teardropping if it ever has. I stated that I use my ventilation system and would recommend that everyone should have a fresh air source.

Jerome

It is unlikely that anyone has died in a teardrop trailer. I think that there are teardrop trailers out there that are air tight enough to kill someone if they're not careful.

Industrial accidents are not uncommon where there is insufficient oxygen (for a number or reasons) in a vessel or otherwise small, confined, and unvented space. There are very specific procedures to be followed to enter such spaces and when they wern't/aren't followed folks have and will continue to pay the ultimate price.

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

perhaps we have said about all we need to say here? i don't believe we need to bash each other for any one's opinions. i will take this up with other admins, but perhaps this thread needs to get locked now?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 am

"parnold wrote:
I woke up in the middle of the night, gasping for air. I was breathing heavy like I'd just run a marathon, ok, well in my shape, run up the stairs. I opened the roof vent, and cracked the door for air, and slept the rest of the night fine.

I have had 2 very similar instances just like Paul's.

I have been teardrop camping 5+ years and know better but it was cold and I was trying to maintain the heat level in the trailer. It is strange as you wake up so totally disoriented and you are in an escape mode panic ( or at least I was) .

I misdiagnosed it as claustraphobia and smacked my hand and told myself to just grow up. It was oxygen depravation in my opinion now, because as I hopped out into the fresh air I was back to normal ( at least as normal as I ever get :lol: ) in a few minutes.

This is a serious thread and folks get nervous when things get too serious and some may want the topic to go away. Unfortunatly the problem will persist. I was advised early on and have always had a window at least partially open. Except these times ! Both were shivarees with temps in the low teens and single didgits. I am sure a little high octane"apple pie" may have contributed to my lapse of preparedness. So for the sake of the newbies let this thread stand to surface and resurface as a warning to those yet to arrive to our fold. :worship:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops