New business

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

New business

Postby Kccreative » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 pm

My wife and I love the teardrop campers. We are thinking about starting a teardrop business from home. She says its just to keep me busy! Lol. But, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or advice about everything as we are creating a business plan. So any ideas about on how to get started, materials, patents, etc please post here. Anything goes!
Kccreative
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New business

Postby Bogo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Make sure you incorporate the business, and get insurance. You are making a product that could have a significant likelihood of lawyers getting involved if something goes wrong. Also make sure you really are covering all your costs.

There are some industry standards for electrical and water plumbing, I'd recommend following them. There are some standards with teeth for the plumbing of toilets, but if you don't have them... The nice thing is most manufacturers of toilet systems have recommended installation setups and they will meet the standards. For the most part RV construction rules are few and far between.

Look up what it takes for a certificate of origin in your state, and serial number ID plates. Just have a minimum sized batch made by a maker. That will likely be 100 or so. It would also be good to stamp the serial number permanently into the frame in a couple places. A set of metal stamps could be used for this.

For liability reasons, I don't think I'd make a TD without brakes. The reason is many people want to pull them with small cars. The state maximum weights for trailers without brakes were set when cars weighed allot more than the light weight cars we have now. If the user uses it without properly hooking up the brakes and gets into an accident, your lawyer can use that fact to extract you from liability or at minimum reduce your liability allot.

Don't install trailer hitches yourself. Send the buyer to a hitch place to do it. This goes along with never telling or even hinting to a buyer they can tow it with a vehicle not rated for towing.

On the trailer lights wiring, FOLLOW THE COLOR STANDARDS! That will make it easier on anybody repairing or modifying the TD later. Places like Waytek Wire sell wire cables that already have the right colors needed. http://www.waytekwire.com/item/WT701/TR ... CONDUCTOR/ You can even find places that will make your trailer wire loom for you. You just tell them what you want where and how long to make each wire group. PS, always make the wire going to the TV a separate segment. All sorts of things happen to that wire, and if it gets damaged, repairs will be much easier. On the wiring, a wire color code sticker in the junction box where the trailer harness connects to the hookup pig tail would be a good idea. Custom vinyl stickers can be made for relatively low cost.

Thinking on stickers. Warning stickers are likely a good thing to have. If you see some RV maker have a specific warning sticker, then it likely is a good idea to have a similar sticker. Yeah, I'm one to think warning stickers are a waste, but then I have what allot of people consider to be a very high level of common sense. Many people don't, and some use lawyers to make up for their neglect of knowing the pitfalls. BTW, I have a series of sculptures that are called the Decidedly Deadly Series. They will drop you dead if you touch them when they are powered up. :twisted: Yeah, no warning stickers except the one that says "STOP! NEVER PLUG IN!" on the 50 Amp 240V power cord... :lol:

Think about your designs from building and accident damage repair perspectives. As you are waiting for the paint to dry, you can do things like build the wiring harness for the next one. A wiring harness is something you can do in the kitchen while the garage is stinky from paint fumes.

Lastly, this list is only a starting point.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Kccreative » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks! :thumbsup:

There are a lot to think about. I just wish there were more literature about some of this stuff. I'm the type of guy who loves the check list system!!!
Kccreative
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 pm

Do you have any experience with Teardrops? Do you own one or have you built one before? It is hard to tell from your post what the direction of your business will be. Are you looking to sell parts, kits, or completed trailers or something else. Maybe a little more info would help you get some more responses.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Sun May 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Sounds Great, When I build anything, the thought in the back of my head is," could I do this for money?" How many could I sell at what price? To whom and how much profit is in it? Next I go on-line and price comparable products. Can I do it for that amount? How would mine be better? How much is my time worth? Can your customers afford $30-$50 an Hour? $25/hr.=41 cents/minute. I cant wait to build number two, but it will be for me. A real labor of love. Why would you want to screw that up by trying to make money. My advise, Leave it to the pros.
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby prohandyman » Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 pm

You absolutely must plan on manufactures liability insurance. It's a huge chunk of change..but you would be foolish to offer something to sell,that can towed down the interstate, in today's suit happy world, without it. Start checking now with insurance companies. The price may scare you into other thoughts!!
Also...do some marketing. There are literally dozens of people across this country selling teardrop campers. Look into the major players currently on the market. Check their websites. Buyers will not tolerate bad craftsmanship. Are you prepared to offer warranties? Do you have a source for material, and can you buy in bulk from suppliers? And a lace to store it.
A piece or three of plywood from Lowes or Home Depot, and a tire and wheel from TSC will not leave you much margin.
Also...a big item here...titles, or certificates of origin! You must supply something to buyers, from any state, to take to their prospective Bureau of Motor Vehicles, so that they can get titles and/or registrations for plates.
A lot of howework to do!!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops