Floor attachment points

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Floor attachment points

Postby Blue_Villain » Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 am

Is there any reason why you shouldn't place your flooring directly on the trailer frame?

I've got a 7'x11'ish trailer that will have a ceiling height of just over 6 feet. So my walls will be three 1/2" sheets of OSB skinned together with the length going vertical. The flooring as it's planned right now will just be 3/4" OSB bolted directly to the frame. The frame rails are 4"x1" C channel across the sides and front, and the rear is a 3"x3" boxed rail across the back. I know on the typical build the walls are bolted to the wooden sub-floor frame, so my plan was just to bolt the walls directly to the metal frame of the trailer.

Technically speaking, the frame walls are not 100% straight. I left the floor at least an 1/8" overhang on both sides, with the idea being that the floor will keep things square and a couple of strategically placed shims and washers will absorb the gaps in the overhang.

Is there any reason why I should not do this? Or anything I should be aware of if I do?
Blue_Villain
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Floor attachment points

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 pm

AAron I am sure being new you have missed my barn build. It was a bit unorthadox as tiny trailers go, but by adding studded walls electrical and insullation went so much easier. It is 5 x 10 by 6 foot tall so It shares a lot of traits you seem to be planning for your build. It might be a worthwhile read. Note the 3 ply insulated floor with 3/4 foam in the center.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops