A/c with heat?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

A/c with heat?

Postby JeremiahO » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm looking at different window type a/c units. There are several that have a heat option. Lg had one that lists for $349. Now that's a lot higher than a basic a/c only but it sure would be nice to have it all inclusive. Anyone else try one if these or should I just get a $20 desktop type heater??
JeremiahO
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A/c with heat?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:14 pm

I bought my 5000BTU AC for $50 at the end of the season and a used Pelonius on Ebay for $35 vs how much. I am a great believer in KISS, though I don't always do it!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 pm

This is what works for us. I got the smaller 18" by 24" panel. I do not know if that size is still available. It is a very soft radiant heat. It does not dry out the air. Does not get hot enough to combust materials close to it. You can actually touch it for a few seconds. Does not burn your skin. It is at the end of the bed under the shelf that our feet are under. I also got a plug in thermostat that plugs into the wall outlet and the heater plugs into the thermostat. Just set the temp on what works for you and it will do the rest. My wife absolutely loves this heater and we can now camp in colder temps as she hates to be cold in bed.
http://www.morelectricheating.com/defau ... 7AodDg8ASg
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:02 pm

JeremiahO wrote:I'm looking at different window type a/c units. There are several that have a heat option. Lg had one that lists for $349. Now that's a lot higher than a basic a/c only but it sure would be nice to have it all inclusive. Anyone else try one if these or should I just get a $20 desktop type heater??
I'm a big fan of window unit A/C, for several reasons, mostly the self-contained functionality (no tie-ins to other systems, it just "air-conditions" >> which, in Texas, means cooling). But, when combined with a heating coil inside, for some reason, they not only cost double or more, but seem to fail more often. Much simpler to use stand-alone systems (my trailer A/C is not an example of such), and much simpler to replace a failed A/C or heater. My LG 5k btu unit was about $125, and my Lasko Myheat 200watt was under $20. Either does the job in my little 4x8; your requirements may differ.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JeremiahO » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick to the separate units. Now I just have to figure out where to mount the heater, as the space at our feet usually reserved for a shelf or cabinets is a bunk for our three year old. Maybe I'll make a small shelf over our heads, but then I'll need an outlet in the front... :?
JeremiahO
Teardrop Advisor

Postby joer1142 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:33 pm

My plan is to get a small cheap AC unit and then use an electric blanket when it gets cold.
joer1142
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops