Best location for air conditioner

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Best location for air conditioner

Postby scooter bob » Wed May 13, 2015 6:15 am

Going to build a 5x8 Benroy. Looking for some ideas on where to put a small air conditioner in the camper. The pics I have seen have the a/c located in places that concern me. One is on the floor where it would be easy to block the return air. I have also seen the a/c located in the rear of the cabin with the rear a/c discharging into the galley. This raises questions about the discharge of condensation and the heated air from the rear of the a/c. I seams to me that the a/c would only be useable when the rear hatch is open. Any thoughts or suggestions?
scooter bob
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Best location for air conditioner

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 13, 2015 6:52 am

Don't put it inside the tear. It stays home when you do not need it.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby typoagain » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 am

I have had the same questions as you.
I don’t want to go with one that sits on the ground as I simply am to lazy to mess with setting it up if I don’t have too.
I am thinking in the front wall but about 18-24 inches off the floor. Just high enough that it will not blow directly on your head. Then adding a box-type cover to protect the coils when driving. Maybe even a tall tongue box? :NC
I figure that if worse comes to worse and I just don’t like it, then I put in a tinted window in the hole and move the AC.
typoagain
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Zac2Smart » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 pm

I've been going over the same issue. Living and camping in texas in the summer almost requires an a/c! I too do not wish to have it sit outside the TD but if i did, i would improvise the same set up as above (5000 btu unit instead of overpriced petcool) with the airflow coming in under the trailer instead of into wall.

I think I have decided to put it at the foot of the cabin space so it sits under the middle of the galley, with a containing box (possibly curved along back surface). It will have screened vents in the floor of the trailer with computer fans to allow air transfer into the containing box from outside.

On a side note, I unfortunately can't get the aesthetically pleasing symmetry by centering it as my trailer will only be 4' wide and 16" will be taken by a cooler slide out.

Any input on this would be super, maybe my plan will help others.
Zac
Zac2Smart
Teardrop Inspector

Postby scooter bob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 pm

I have decided to put the a/c in the front of the trailer as well. Going to build a cover for it. Will post some pics when I get to that stage of the build.
scooter bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bollie7 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:34 am

I dont know whats available in the way of air con for campers etc, but I'm just thinking it should be possible to custom build a split system using an evaporator unit from a car coupled up with a mains powered compressor and condensor etc. Theres a couple of custom car aircon manufacturers over there in the US.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog.asp
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/
http://www.classicautoair.com/

Its just a matter of selecting the right parts and putting it all together. It should be possible to build a very neat and compact unit.
Just thought I'd throw that out there for something to think about.

regards
Peter
Bollie7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:00 pm

I don't see how you can do this economically going with automotive parts.
Background, I have been thinking about a small gas engine powered AC unit and going this route. A five horse power engine seems to be the requirement and I would think this would be way over kill. If you want a split system just hack the appropriate BTU window shaker.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Adventure Time » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 am

photo (8).JPG
photo (8).JPG (93.24 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
This was my solution. I wanted a removable box but not something I had to set up. This slides in and out and breathes through the bottom of the trailer. I will absolutely not go camping in Texas again without an AC. The Ac box was one of the first things I designed and built. It has two chambers inside the box, intake and exhaust. The whole inside is lined with fiberglass and resin so it is waterproof. I didn't want to have it sticking out of the trailer at all. I wanted it hidden and it is crazy quite when you are outside the trailer and a quiet whoosh inside.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Adventure Time » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 am

Zac2Smart wrote:I've been going over the same issue. Living and camping in texas in the summer almost requires an a/c! I too do not wish to have it sit outside the TD but if i did, i would improvise the same set up as above (5000 btu unit instead of overpriced petcool) with the airflow coming in under the trailer instead of into wall.

I think I have decided to put it at the foot of the cabin space so it sits under the middle of the galley, with a containing box (possibly curved along back surface). It will have screened vents in the floor of the trailer with computer fans to allow air transfer into the containing box from outside.

On a side note, I unfortunately can't get the aesthetically pleasing symmetry by centering it as my trailer will only be 4' wide and 16" will be taken by a cooler slide out.

Any input on this would be super, maybe my plan will help others.

Your idea is almost exactly what I did. This is the box the AC5000Btu slides into. This is a top down view. There is a divider in the middle. ACs are designed to bring in outisde air through one set of grills and exaust hot air through another set. You just build your box to divide these two vents and have seperate holes for the air to come in and go out of. Wateproofing is very important because ACs produce so much water through condensation. Once the Ac is running it seems to evaporate the water into the hot exhaust and not drip out.
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (125.51 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Adventure Time » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:53 am

photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
This is the floor of the trailer in the back galley where it sits. I built this by making a frame on the floor and pouring in resin to cure and make a waterproof platform. I used fiberglass cloth in the holes and under the trailer first. The bottom of my trailer is coated in resin. The box slides in the back and sits on a neoprene gasket to take out the vibration and seal the intake and exhaust ports.
Adventure Time
Teardrop Advisor

Postby robe352 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Ok, that is so cool, I had to use my first post on the forum to comment. I wonder if someone would be interested in making one of those drawings to show airflow? I think I can tell by looking at your pictures.
Also, what do you do when you leave the ac at home? Just cover the holes with a protected board, with the neoprene gasket still in place? Or maybe you have a heater hacked like that to swap out?
I like that idea a lot, as well as tons I have seen on here, I am definitely hooked.
Bobby
robe352
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops