Newbie question about finished roof size.

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Newbie question about finished roof size.

Postby Kanook » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 pm

So I've been lurking here for some time and I'm ready to start building. I'm thinking of doing a wood side (possibly teak) and an aluminum roof teardrop on a 4x8 platform. My question is in regards to the finished roof dimensions. If my aluminum roof material is 4' wide and I decide to finish the exterior walls with wood trim, do I bring the walls in an inch or so to compensate for the molding or will aluminum edge trim be wide enough to cover where the roof material stops and then continue over the moulding? I hope I've explained this well enough and thanks for any input.
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Newbie question about finished roof size.

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 pm

If I understand you, with four foot aluminum the walls are inset by there thickness. My walls are 3/4, so inside floor is 46 1/2. I then use right angle 3/4 trim with sealant under. You want over lap
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Kanook » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Graniterich wrote:If I understand you, with four foot aluminum the walls are inset by there thickness. My walls are 3/4, so inside floor is 46 1/2. I then use right angle 3/4 trim with sealant under. You want over lap

Yes sort of. I understand you would inset the walls the thickness of the wall x2 but if you add trim around the perimeter of the exterior of the wall would you then inset the walls an additional trim thickness? I.E. If I used 3/4 trim on each side I would move the walls in an additional 3/4" both sides?
Kanook
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ctstaas » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Friends, The trim is on the outside and does not effect the width. If you place your roof spars 4' on center, you can sheet the roof with 4' wide sheet no matter how wide the cabin is. 5' x 10' sheets of Al. are available online and unlike plywood being special order at this size Al is sold my the square foot.
I hope this helps.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops