Offroad trailer suspension

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: Offroad trailer suspension

Postby Lucky J » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

working on it wrote:
Lucky J wrote:[list][*]

I don't agree that a leaf spring axle is too "bouncy" to ride right, and that only Timbren axles, or torsion axles are the way to go. I like, trust, and have easily repaired leaf spring axles, before, and wouldn't write them off to history, as being out-dated .......

I think that we mis understood each other. I am not counting out spring leave suspension either. The 3500 pds dexter axle I have on my utility/off road trailer is flex ride /torflex type. And what I do not like about it, is that it is to stif for camping duty, (light load) and perfect for utility duty (heavier load). But I like the fact that it is a heavy duty axel set-up. When I ordered it to replace my weak 1500 pds leaf spring axle that was on it, I was thinking about the 3500 pds hubs and spindle, but forgot about the fact that the spring load would most of the time be to much.

Now, If I would go with srping leaf, I would have the same problem with that trailer, cause my load is way to different for the different use I make out of it. But I do have a spare spindle and radius arm with a fully built hub with me all the time for out off bound travel. I hated to be stuck for speciality broken parts.

But even with the now new to us teardrop, my plan is to build a real off road expedition trailer from my old jeep YJ tub with a RTT. That one would be built with long travel leaf spring with purpose built load and 3500 pds hubs.

But the TD, I want the softer ride possible and a load range that can adapted according to the type of road I travel. Only air ride can do thise rapidly.

Now, back to my original question, I still want to know what was used as joint for the Trailing arms of that air suspension, and if it is still working fine.
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Offroad trailer suspension

Postby VORSHEER Trailers » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 am

I would stick with Timbren independent suspension for off-road.

The ground clearance you will achieve with Timbren will surpass your truck or SUV. So if you drive over it, you know your trailer will too. No worries about hitting the bottom of your trailer.

If you really want to build an off-road trailer then Timbren will probably be the suspension you're using: https://timbren.com/axle-less-product-finder/
For rugged, off-road teardrop trailers visit VORSHEER Trailers: https://www.vorsheershop.com/xoc
VORSHEER Trailers
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets