small off-road trailer conversion...

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 pm

eatatjoz wrote:Mine was a single panel.
15watt I think. I need to go back and get another or just replace it with the one you're thinking of getting.
With just the one HF panel, I didn't need to worry about charging the battery. Of course, I rely on lanterns and battery operated radios. The battery in the camper is just a luxury to me.

i wasnt sure if just one would do the job which is why i was thinking the 3 panel kit, i would like to get around a 2000watt inverter for being able to run a grinder or other tools incase of a trail repair or being able to run some lights around camp etc.

and maybe if im out with the wife being able to run a small tv or a laptop for a movie
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby eatatjoz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 pm

You're probably heading in the right direction. I have run drills, cut off saws, and skill saws with mine on a 1200 watt inverter, but from my knowledge of females, you may want three optima batteries, a three panel solar system, truck charge, and a genny.
If you want to know what they require for restroom situations, just be prepared for lots of toilet paper usage.
females generally increase usage of everything 200% or more.

I suggest getting a dog instead of a GF.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 pm

eatatjoz wrote:You're probably heading in the right direction. I have run drills, cut off saws, and skill saws with mine on a 1200 watt inverter, but from my knowledge of females, you may want three optima batteries, a three panel solar system, truck charge, and a genny.
If you want to know what they require for restroom situations, just be prepared for lots of toilet paper usage.
females generally increase usage of everything 200% or more.

I suggest getting a dog instead of a GF.

lol already have the wife and the dog, neither of which do i think i could get rid of for very long at a time....
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby 86 slo-vo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 pm

got a little more done....

the shelving is done except for some trim to make an edge so things wont slide off

the painted area is the only spots that wont be covered in carpet

as you can see this is no high dollar rig, the cheaper the better for me right now

i hope to get started on the wiring tomarrow
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 pm

i got some of the wiring done today, alot of it still has to come down to put the carpet in but i wanted to rough it in to get an idea what i needed.

i got lucky and had everything i needed already in the garage

there is a receptacle at the front where my phone and laptop would stay plugged up to and at the rear there is 2 receptacles but one has a switch for the inside and outside light

the outside light folds down nicely out of the way so hopefully it wont get ripped off

i also got my roof hatch vent but forgot to snap a picture
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby woytovich » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 pm

My thoughts...

1. Be careful that someone doesn't lock you inside. I would put a lock through the lever on the outside when I was going to be inside.

2. Air. Go to a pick-n-pull junk yard and snag windows from a pick-up truck cap or a camper/rv if you get lucky enough to find one there. They'll open and likely have screens.

Mark
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby 86 slo-vo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:16 pm

woytovich wrote:My thoughts...

1. Be careful that someone doesn't lock you inside. I would put a lock through the lever on the outside when I was going to be inside.

2. Air. Go to a pick-n-pull junk yard and snag windows from a pick-up truck cap or a camper/rv if you get lucky enough to find one there. They'll open and likely have screens.

Mark

yea ive got plans to be able to lock the back door and the side door i picked up is big enough to get out of if need be

i looked for some windows at one of the local yards and didnt come up with much but i think i may have found some decently cheep ones
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 am

i got my 20x24 door in today, took a little work but it went in nicely. still need to pull it out one last time and put some silicone around and seal it all up ran out and was too late to go get more.

im pretty happy with it, i can just squeeze through it. now if i can just find me a window
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 am

Oh, good! Now, you have an escape door. :applause: "Mama" Sharon was worried about you before. You could even add a removable framed screen to that little door area, so you could get additional fresh air inside. Now, it is definitely camp-able! :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Oh, good! Now, you have an escape door. :applause: "Mama" Sharon was worried about you before. You could even add a removable framed screen to that little door area, so you could get additional fresh air inside. Now, it is definitely camp-able! :yes:

yea its deffinantly much nicer inside, im hopeing i can find a slider window to fit inside the door itself but the screen idea is good also i might have to look into that
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby jollymon1375 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Lookin' sweet!! :applause:

Post more pics as you go along......
jollymon1375
Teardrop Advisor

Suscribed

Postby Jeeper92 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Lov this build, arent yo afraid of the spare ripping the door off the hinges???? the weight seems it would bend or break em
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby 86 slo-vo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:27 pm

thanks guys, ive slowed down a bunch on getting this done just been busy with alot of things...

i think the rear gate will be ok its built pretty sturdy and sits just almost on the floor inside so i dont believe it can go too far

i hope to maybe get a few more things done this weekend, camping season is coming quick
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby 86 slo-vo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:08 pm

i know its been a little bit but i put a few hours in on the trailer this afternoon and hope to do some more work tomorrow.

complete 90 degrees before jackknifing

not too much more and she will be ready for the mayden voyage
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby 86 slo-vo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm

got the new fenders on and went for a nice long drive in the rain...no leaks pulls like a dream.

another week or two and she will be ready for the first outing.

and the hitch i made.
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets