The ROAM Camper Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Here's the pix

[img][img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l358/titanpat57/photo-47.jpg[/img]

A little pricey...but it should give me 5 full days generator usage...4-5 hours a day if need be.

[/img]Image
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 pm

:?

WAOW!

Amazing; creativity; inginuity and great set of skills to exicute and to dream up with the ideas! (your obsessed? it is addictive)

8)

how long did you work on that design?

:thinking:

have you weighed it?

I am truely impressed! Fancy bit of framing too; I havent read the full post but will.

:thumbsup:

best regards BC Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby 4123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 pm

WOW!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby huntinhick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 pm

how big is the inside? I just read the whole post again and did not see it any where. any progress on the inside yet?

thanks
carl.
huntinhick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby titanpat57 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 pm

BC Dave wrote::?

WAOW!

Amazing; creativity; inginuity and great set of skills to exicute and to dream up with the ideas! (your obsessed? it is addictive?)

Thank you, this is my second, so it was easier to see the shortcomings of the first. Obsessed? Addicted? I think I'm the posterboy....lol

8)

I actually worked on it over the winter, and fine tuned it in March, and started in April

have you weighed it?

Not fully loaded...but my best guess is dressed out for bear...about 2600 #'s

I am truely impressed! Fancy bit of framing too; I havent read the full post but will.

Thank you again, I hope folks enjoy it and I also hope it inspires some newcomers to the lightweight, smaller trailer community. I was inspired by many Austrailian designs myself.

best regards BC Dave
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Thank You 4123..much appreciated!

huntinhick wrote:how big is the inside? I just read the whole post again and did not see it any where. any progress on the inside yet?

thanks
carl.

Hi Carl

The inside is about 50" wide and 96" long to where the nose box starts.

The inside has a built up platform that houses two 6v golf cart batteries and a 21 gallon water tank, including the pump. Over the platform are some 2 x 6's and 1/2 plywood that make up a nice size pull out bed. Once the wood is in place, there is a Coleman Queen inflatable mattress that fits perfect. Once the inside plan is finalized, the bed will actually fold up into a couch, as opposed to laying flat.

I'm still up in the air about the color, but I'm pretty sure I'll be using a 1/4 birch ply with a med brown stain. The walls will get insulated with foam, and thats here in the basement.....just waiting on time, because any vacation I can manage to squeeze out, I want to be using it!

Thanks for looking again, and I'll be sure to post the interior once it begins.

I'm headed out Sunday to Worlds End State Park in NorthCentral PA...if anybody wants to stop out for coffee, I'll be there til' Wends.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:53 pm

titanpat57 wrote:
BC Dave wrote::?

WAOW!

Amazing; creativity; inginuity and great set of skills to exicute and to dream up with the ideas! (your obsessed? it is addictive?)

Thank you, this is my second, so it was easier to see the shortcomings of the first. Obsessed? Addicted? I think I'm the posterboy....lol

8)

I actually worked on it over the winter, and fine tuned it in March, and started in April

have you weighed it?

Not fully loaded...but my best guess is dressed out for bear...about 2600 #'s

Thank you again, I hope folks enjoy it and I also hope it inspires some newcomers to the lightweight, smaller trailer community. I was inspired by many Austrailian designs myself.

best regards BC Dave

ROAM isnt a light weight at 2600 lbs; but that probably comes from the heavy duty ex-military trailer; my 6X10 CT overheight 6' interior wieights in at 1600 dry weight; but I was really trying to keep the weight down to save on tow capacity and fuel.

Have you completed the interior? Interior pics?

Cheers BC Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Howdy BC Dave,

Yea...the ROAM could use a diet, but I just can't part with any gear....lol

I had a great weekend get away planned until the plans got ruined by a nasty Nor'easter ...10" of snow, not at all funny :cry:

It weighed #1400 with just the finished box on the frame. It took it down to the local dump with a certified scale.

No interior fish as of yet, foams sitting in the basement, then I just have to figure what I want to use, and prefinish it.

Thanks for asking though!
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:13 am

titanpat57 wrote:Howdy BC Dave,

Yea...the ROAM could use a diet, but I just can't part with any gear....lol

I had a great weekend get away planned until the plans got ruined by a nasty Nor'easter ...10" of snow, not at all funny :cry:

It weighed #1400 with just the finished box on the frame. It took it down to the local dump with a certified scale.

No interior fish as of yet, foams sitting in the basement, then I just have to figure what I want to use, and prefinish it.

Thanks for asking though!

"git dat foam in da wall and you could brave yer noresters ..." ;)

I've camped in the snow at 10F :) (with a propane heater)
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby huntinhick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm

ok another question. I see that you put a receiver hitch on the back, do you think it would be possible to use a basket with the 500lb rating and fill it up with out making it difficult to tow? I plan using mine as a hunting trailer so I need room to put game (I am optimistic) be it boned out in a cooler or two or just quartered in canvas bags. plus it would be nice to haul fire wood on the hitch on the way out instead of in the camper. I am liking you design more and more for my needs. With the roof top tent can you still use the roof rack to carry other stuff like kayaks?

thanks
carl
huntinhick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm

huntinhick wrote:ok another question. I see that you put a receiver hitch on the back, do you think it would be possible to use a basket with the 500lb rating and fill it up with out making it difficult to tow? I plan using mine as a hunting trailer so I need room to put game (I am optimistic) be it boned out in a cooler or two or just quartered in canvas bags. plus it would be nice to haul fire wood on the hitch on the way out instead of in the camper. I am liking you design more and more for my needs. With the roof top tent can you still use the roof rack to carry other stuff like kayaks?

thanks
carl

Hi Carl,

I wouldn't recommend putting that much weight behind the rear wheels....something that off balance could be disasterous, at best, and really squirrelly towing at the very least.

I think a better solution would be to put some of the gear from the inside, on the roof rack of the trailer(mine needs some additional work to accommodate that) or on the roof of the tow vehicle. That would open up the inside, centered on the wheels, to add the weight.

It would be much safer....Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Re: The ROAM Camper Build

Postby titanpat57 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi All,

I haven't updated in awhile, and I thought it might be time.

I've been using the ROAM for trips to VA, PA, NY, VT.

The biggest change was the elimination of the roof top tent (with no fault of ARB, fabulous unit and very well made) after a fishing trip upstate last year. The wind blew for 3 days non stop, at times so hard I couldn't keep the stove lit! There was no way you could've stayed in a RTT with that wind blowing, and it actually almost toppled the canopy if I hadn't anchored it down with two ropes on each corner....it was crazy :shock:

So I got rid of the RTT and the pop up canopy (it was the first time I stayed for 4 nights on the inside of the trailer), and picked a military tent called a "Command Post" tent. It's super well made, substantial in wind and bad weather,and albeit a bit heavy (about 275 lbs), is a spectacular addition to the rear of the trailer. No single pc. weighs more than 75lbs. It measures out to 11' x 11' and 7' high at the end wall, the peak is about 9' high. It has interchangeable sidewalls, and boots right up to rear of the trailer...and also has a stove jack built into the roof.

I did manage to get the inside foamed and finished with lightweight pine planking from the Depot...then hit it with a few coats of poly....all in all it looks good, but still needs some corner trim to hide some wires. I'm just always anxious to get out and go camping, and relax. I'm sure it'll get done this summer (right after the central air, basement renovation, and picture window replacement... :? )..lol.

Here's a few pics of the tent and trailer at various camping outings. The last one was the same spot as last year, and this year I was ready for the howling winds and sideways rain at 34 degrees...the woodstove was the star of the show!.. 8)

Thanks everyone for looking. :beer:

now some pics...
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Camping with bacon in the skillet. It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby scotty_pac » Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Nice set up. How long does it take to set up the tent? Do you need two people?
scotty_pac
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks Scotty,....the tent weighs about 275 lbs....but no one piece weighs more than 75. It really is a marvel of engineering, manufactured by Camel, and it's really nice to have a sturdy, well made structure behind the trailer.

I've put it and up and taken it down by myself probably four or five times...and it's definitely nicer with a hand...but for a 4-5 day trip worth the effort.
titanpat57
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets