The ROAM Camper Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: The ROAM Camper Build

Postby irgod32 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:01 am

Beautiful build, what is the total trailer weight?
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:33 pm

irgod32 wrote:Beautiful build, what is the total trailer weight?

Thank you very much...it's been a fun build

I dropped a 150 lbs. or so getting rid of the big tent. This year I'm going to start shopping for a fishing kayak in the spring, so I'll throw that up on top. I think they weigh around 50-60 lbs. I'm going to run the same tires I put on the new truck, which are 275/70/17's BFG KO2's (including the spare underneath), and they run about 15 lbs more per tire. Another springtime upgrade will be new Trojan batteries...the original Interstate batteries are 6 years old now. The Trojans will probably double my existing amp/hours, but also add another 30 lbs.

All total I believe I'm at about 2500 lbs. loaded with water.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:05 am

titanpat57 wrote:Hi Everyone,

First off I'd like to say a special and heart felt thank you to all those who came before, took the time to document their ideas and builds, and spent countless hours and numerous talents fine tuning many of the methods applied in the creation of the ROAM. It is much apprecciated.

The ROAM (Recreation Optimized All-terrain Module) is my second attempt at a trailer build. The first was smaller, lighter, and lacked a brake axle....but was a really fun platform, so that's what I based this build off.

The project was started in mid April of 2010, and was taken out for the maiden voyage at the end of October the same year. The interior still needs some finish, as does the electrical system, but spring is right around the corner, and I'll be buying some wainscoating soon to pre-finish for the interior...but it been a welcomed break. There are already several early trips planned....I mean hell, how are going to work the bugs out?

The trailer started out its beginnings as a military generator platform, known as the M116A2, rated for 3/4 of a ton, or a total payload of 2750 pounds, which is what the finish weight will top out. The military axle was swapped out with a new Dexter, 3" dia. with brakes. I ordered 6 x 5.5 pattern, but my problem was that my Toyota 4Runner Trail has hub centric rims, not lug centric. In a quick synopsis, that translates into the wheel lines up with a "raised rim" that sticks out form the drum. In almost all cases your lug nuts center your wheel when tightend, but not in this case. That meant I had to buy a product called Spidertrax, that converts lug centric to hub centric. This build criteria was that the wheels on the trailer have to match the wheels on the tow vehicle.....I know, I know....it's not a news flash I have issues, so that said let the pictures begin

These are mostly the tongue modifications to accmodate the Max Coupler...an awesome multi-axis coupler...

I never did get real good at welding...but man I nailed the grinding part down...

First I want to say that you camper looks fantastic.
Second did you enjoy the process?
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 am

Adirondackersouth wrote:

First I want to say that you camper looks fantastic.
Second did you enjoy the process?

Thank you very much!

It was kinda like a marathon...not so much fun when running, but the joy of finishing last a long time. Pretty much all my spare time between April to October was spent in the back of the house working on it. The challenges of the welding are over, as I've done a lot since. The biggest hurdle is maintain the watertightness.....knowing what I know now I probably would've reconfigured the front differently..but that's what makes it unique. I always enjoy going out in it, and all systems still work great.

Another trailer is in development right now....there's a lot of satisfaction doing something with your own two hands....don't let fear or commonsense hold you back....go build something! :thumbsup:
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby irgod32 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Great job!!! I agree with the previous comment
What did you use for skinning?
What does it weigh?
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Re: The ROAM Camper Build Refresh 2016

Postby titanpat57 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 am

Hello folks,

After the new 4runner purchase back in 11/15...it was time to do some upgrades to the camper.

Of course, matching wheels and rubber, somewhat matching paint, and another attempt at the front windows, this time using glass.

I carefully went over the roof, sides, vents, and anywhere else that could attract water or a leak. The Lexan I used for the front windows was just ok, but I was never happy with the look. I took the plexi out, took them to a glass shop, and had them duplicated in 1/8" glass. I then stopped at a tint shop and picked up a piece of 5% to tint the inside, as I found there was actually "too much" light coming in, especially in the early morning. It looks much better, and the tinted windows give it more matching look. I will eventually make a stone guard to protect the glass during travel time.

I decided to permanently mount the stove, I had done the sink earlier in the year. I just have to snap in the burner grills and slip on the knobs once I get to where I'm going. One small set back was the 5 gallon water can that fit on the stove side, had to be relocated to other side. I also permanently mounted the L5 water heater in a box to outside. I took a piece of stainless steel hinge and mounted a movable vented aluminum lid so the top of box stays pretty water tight.

I'm pretty much caught up for now. There was a trip planned to OEX http://www.overlandexperts.com/ for several days of driving training, but a schedule conflict caused us to cancel. I hope to make it out to various small weekend campouts, but summer is a very busy time at my job. Several planned trips are the MOAF just out side of State College, PA in August http://www.overlandfestival.com/, and the Vermont Overland Rally in Royalton, VT http://www.vermontoverland.com/vor/....hope to meet some old, and new, friends there.

As always..thanks for looking..have a safe and healthy summer....now some pictures.

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Shes a beauty!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby 3GKnight » Tue May 31, 2016 5:00 pm

Sweet. Can you post a picture with the sink/counter down? Thanks!
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:28 pm

dales133 wrote:Shes a beauty!

Thank you! :thumbsup:
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:30 pm

3GKnight wrote:Sweet. Can you post a picture with the sink/counter down? Thanks!

There's 3-4 pictures on the previous page of the thread that show the kitchen down, and in use...thanks for looking
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 am

[quote="3GKnight"]Sweet. Can you post a picture with the sink/counter down? Thanks![/quo

My apologies...haven't checked back in awhile...

Here's a few more from various adventures...thanks for looking

hicrun6.jpg
hicrun6.jpg (326.82 KiB) Viewed 4351 times

delaware 1.jpg
delaware 1.jpg (466.33 KiB) Viewed 4351 times

conn2 med.jpg
conn2 med.jpg (547.2 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing, & glad I found it :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Manchero » Sun May 01, 2022 4:57 pm

titanpat57 wrote:

First Post Pat,

IMHO, you have a very forgiving wife...lol! I read through this entire thread, it took me a few hours. Very informative... I learned from just reading all of your evolving designs.

The Filon material, how is that attached? Is it glued on? And if so, on what type of substrate?

Please advise!

And as everyone stated before, it is a schweet build!!!
Manchero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 01, 2022 5:52 pm

Congratulations! It looks well planned and a good job! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby titanpat57 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm

Manchero wrote:
titanpat57 wrote:

First Post Pat,

IMHO, you have a very forgiving wife...lol! I read through this entire thread, it took me a few hours. Very informative... I learned from just reading all of your evolving designs.

The Filon material, how is that attached? Is it glued on? And if so, on what type of substrate?

Please advise!

And as everyone stated before, it is a schweet build!!!

My apologies...work kept me very busy...until the 30th of June and that came to an end!!

So yes, the War Department has very little patient with me when the boxes and bills kept rolling in ....my only saving grace was I said it was going to be half the cost of something new, which in reality, it was.

The FRP was glued on with contact advesise. I do have a few soft spots which I'll be addressing come Spring. The substrate was 1/2 " CDX ply, glued and screwed.

Thank you very much!

Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets