Offroad Pop-up

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: Offroad Pop-up

Postby flboy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Wow.. That is nice! Was somebody inside flipping the walls up? Almost seemed automatic?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 pm

flboy wrote:Wow.. That is nice! Was somebody inside flipping the walls up? Almost seemed automatic?

It appears to me that he must have reached in from the other side. You can see someone stepping down.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby asorensen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

The two end walls go up with the roof but the side walls are put up manually from the inside by yours truly!
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Re:

Postby Lucky J » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm

asorensen wrote:Well I have been remiss.
I spent two hectic weeks at the beginning of July and got the unit to a usable stage.
I was working like a madman (most nights bed at 2 or 3 or sometimes not at all) so the write ups sort of slowed down!

We travelled from Vancouver Island Canada down the I5 to Sacremento and then slowly back up the 101 on the maiden voyage.
I am happy to say it all worked excellently with no mishaps or flaws along the way.

I still need to finish several things to make it up to my standards but it was pretty darn good for its first trip.

Unfortunately my wife, being in charge of the packing, forgot the charger for camera so I don't have any pictures from the trip but
I can bring you up to date on the construction.

i hope you still come here from time to time.

Fisrt, I will add my voice to the oders, what a nice built. Would have to tell me that it is home made, but with all your skills, I can say that it is professional grade and hand built, and more!

The fact that is as been a while, is almost a good thing for me. With My GF, we own a now Nucamp T@G outback, but I do not like the suspension. Just to stiff, and no adjustment possible. I want to mod it to go air bag like you did. But I am still not sure what to use as pivot point. Two options in my book. Sleeves and bushing or rod end. I like the simplicity of bushing, but I wonder if the fact the the wheels are on one side of the A-arms, it will not have a tendancy to ware sidways and get off of alignment. Rod ends, they will be exposed to water, mud and other road dust, that could also create fast wear.

So, what did you used and any issues over time.

Thank you, Luc

The trailer was the next major hurdle.
I had decided on independent suspension with airbags and shocks so I needed to make up swing arms.

Here is first swing arm and the jig:

This is where the swing arm will sit.

With the airbag:

I planned to put shocks on as well but as I was running out of time I opted to try it without for the first journey.

The result was that I had to run the airbags with quite a bit lower pressure than I had initially planned. This was to deal with the rebound issues after which it towed quite nicely.

Needless to say the obvious solution is to fit shocks as well which I will be doing soon.

Anyways here is the trailer all painted up.

I will continue the further build pictures tomorrow night.

Andy
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asorensen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Luc

I used dom sleeves and bushings at the end of the arms. No issues so far! Trailer tows very well. I did add shocks a few years ago which helped with the rebound issues I initially had with just the airbags. The airbags work really well to load level and level the trailer when I'm parked for the night. I decided against additional jacks for the weight savings and have not regretted the decision.

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lucky J » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

asorensen wrote:Hi Luc

I used dom sleeves and bushings at the end of the arms. No issues so far! Trailer tows very well. I did add shocks a few years ago which helped with the rebound issues I initially had with just the airbags. The airbags work really well to load level and level the trailer when I'm parked for the night. I decided against additional jacks for the weight savings and have not regretted the decision.

Andy

Thank you very much! :D
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets