Budget Build: Campinator 2000 Offroad Camper

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: Budget Build: Campinator 2000 Offroad Camper

Postby Nobodyhome1313 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:31 am

Sapperman wrote:So I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one these trailers, but two questions:

Have driven any distance yet and how is the frame holding up?

Also what's the deal with your bed? Is it going to be width or length wise and what are dimensions for it going to be?

Darn good questions; here's what I got so far...
The trailer itself is literally bulletproof. The wood frame, despite piss poor design has held up surprisingly well. I really should have scrapped the original 2 ft tall frame and rebuilt with full length vertical beams ~4ft tall. This afterthought style makes it weaker in the middle, however the frame alone survived my 260lb friend swinging it back and forth without loosening it at all. Adding sheer wall strength with the outside skin made it super sturdy. I beat it up a small trail nearby and aimed for ditches and bumps, then rocked it back and forth by the frame trying to loosen it up... no such luck, perfectly sturdy. Since it is not completed, I can't say how well it will hold up after the 50th trip up the Rubicon, but early indicators are all good. I highly recommend doing 1" square steel frame to anyone who can afford it... I personally cannot.

In terms of the bed, its just me and my 12yo girl, so we don't need much. We can almost fit a full size mattress and lay long ways if we build over the fenders with a sleeping deck, which is the current plan. We have a 60"x69" sleeping deck with the kitchen retracted, about 90" x 69" with it extended. For size reference, a queen bed is 60" x 80" and a full bed is 54"x75".
So, as you can see from the latest concept below, the area above the kitchen can be used as a storage area, or even a sleeping area for a child, roughly 28"x 69", (twin bed is 39" x 75") with 22" head room. You will likely have variations also depending on the sizes of things you get to build with.

Here are the basic dimensions of the M116A3 (small squares=3", large=12") Please note these are rough measurements, +/- 1-2" in some cases:

Hope this helps, sorry it's not at the level of documentation I prefer, but hopefully its enough to spark your imagination.I didn't think anyone was really watching the build so I had actually trashed the original plans yesterday... good timing and sorry about the coffee stains... hahaha
Last edited by Nobodyhome1313 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobodyhome1313
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sapperman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 am

Great, thanks a lot. This certainly get the juices flowing. I would the do something more along the ROAM, but I am not sure I have the time or the money...
Sapperman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobodyhome1313 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Sapperman wrote:Great, thanks a lot. This certainly get the juices flowing. I would the do something more along the ROAM, but I am not sure I have the time or the money...

Hope I covered your questions. We are likely using the reclaimed couch cushions for the bed as opposed to the bed cushion as critters got a hold if it. Besides, this also gives us more flexibility to configure the bed as needed if the kitchen is in vs. out, or if we need to rack someone else up too. There was an idea proposed by my daughter to have a hinged plank against the kitchen area that can also serve as the back of a couch, or lay down if the kitchen is out to increase bed space, making the cushions like a big fluffy game of tetris. There are velcro strips on them already to hold them into place so this works out great. Those can be added easily to anyone's design for cheap.

Please send me a message if you want to talk through anything.

PS- Holy CRAP I just looked up the ROAM.... yeah that thing probably cost more than all my Jeeps combined... freaky nice though.
Nobodyhome1313
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nobodyhome1313 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:36 pm

ITS OFFICIAL.... DEAD BUILD, sorry gang. Life happens, priorities change and well... the Campinator is being scrapped.
Thanks to all for the support.

:cry:
Nobodyhome1313
Teardrop Builder

Postby titanpat57 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:08 am

I'm sorry to hear this...I liked where the build was going.

Maybe things will improve and allow you to get back on it...best of luck.

Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby Sapperman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 am

Sorry to hear it!
Sapperman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobodyhome1313 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Sapperman wrote:Sorry to hear it!

Thanks guys. Life happens, right? Sapperman- would love to see your build if you move forward with it. The concept is solid, my skills and budget are not, but I'm sure yours are up-to-snuff.

Good luck. :beer:
Nobodyhome1313
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sapperman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Ha! I have been scouting for a trailer though it will have to wait till I finish my current course load...
Sapperman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:24 pm

I was wondering what you'd end up doing when those GI tires wore out. What is the bolt pattern for the wheels?

Nobodyhome1313 wrote:SCORE! Got these tires and wheels off a nice guy on Craigslist for $45 out the door. This also dropped the overall height to 78" and made it about level with my Jeep. The only drawback is that now the track width is about 4" wider due to the new wheel backspacing. Ohh well, I lost 130 pounds n the process... SCORE! Going to get it weighed soon, stand by...

:twisted:

Sides are on, single sheet cut to fit... whadda pain in the lower extremity.

SPECS:
Cost: +$45
Weight: -130
Total: $565
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

It's a GM 8 bolt pattern
titanpat57
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets