Fender size?

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Fender size?

Postby TucsonWJ » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Hello guys,
I'm new to the site and am in the process of converting a 5x8 short CT to a modest off-road family trailer. One issue I'm having is with fender sizes. I'm going to be running 33" tires to match my Jeep, they mention arc and length. I would think that a 33" tire would fit a fender that measures 33.5", but I'm probably wrong. When they mention arc, are they meaning the circumference? It's hard to judge from pics on line so any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fender size?

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 pm

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200424288_200424288 Here is a fender that when mounted high enough for suspension travel should work with your tire selection. They also have a version in aluminum diamond tread.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby TucsonWJ » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 am

I'm actually more interested in the rounded ones. I have found quite a few, I just don't know how to translate their descriptions into what will work. Thanks for the the help.
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby kayakdlk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 am

I believe the arc is how much the fender goes around the tire. Some just cover the top and others wrap around the tire more. Every fender I looked at including the rounded one had a Dimensions L x W x H (in.) I made a pattern out of cardboard with these dimensions and used it to see how high up the fender needed to be. I used 31" tires on my teardrop and had to buy one of the largest flat top fenders I could find. I finally went with flat top so I could move them up to fit. You also need to take into account the suspension travel. I tried my Jeep tires which are 33" on my teardrop and my fenders wouldn't work. I wasn't sure I could find any that I liked unless I raised the fender so high it looked funny, so I stayed with 31" tires

Dan
Last edited by kayakdlk on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 am

I ran into the same issues. The normal trailer fenders just aren't made to accommodate large off road tires.

I bought the "Jeep" style flat top fenders in 10 inch width (the widest available w/o going to a custom order) for my 31x10.5 AT's and they aren't going to fit well at all.

The flat part is too short front-to-back to accommodate the large radius of the tire, and the only way to get enough clearance for the suspension travel is to mount them so high that the front and rear no longer covers half the tire height (they won't extend below the axle center); and they look dorky that way.

The other issue is that I need the full width of the fender just to cover the tread width let alone the side wall bulge), leaving me a big gap between the inside edge of the fender and my side wall and a chance to gouge a tire on the fender lip.

When it gets to be time, I will end up making my own, and will put the jeep fenders back up for sale. (I'll keep them for now because another option is to buy 2 more and cut and splice them to make a good larger pair, but it will probably be easier and less money just to make from scratch.)

33 inch is a large tire, especially for a trailer, and will raise your CG considerably. Is the CT wheel well fully outside of the cargo box, or partially under it? I would be concerned with hub face vs wheel offset vs side wall clearance, then once you know that will work talk to one of the fender manufacturers (not retailers) and see if they can accommodate your special needs. Another option is to seek out a fabricator in your area.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TucsonWJ » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm

I think I may just have to incorporate them into the running boards. I was hoping to find something off the shelf but I think it will look better and not to mention be way stronger if I go that route.

As far as the COG goes, I'm not to worried. It's not going to be a hardcore trail rig I just want to be able to get off the beaten path and kind of use it as a base camp for 4 wheeling and other outdoor activities. It's not going to be loaded up with all luxuries of home so the weigh will stay pretty low.

I will be ok with the tire clearance, the tires are on the outside and with the wheel adapters to fit my jeep wheels and the backspacing I have on my wheels I will end up with about an inch and a half clearance.
This is all a learning experience for myself. Lots of going brought the website and reading everyone else's builds to get ideas. I appreciate all the help.
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 pm

CG isn't just a concern for side hill, but also for side wind. Depending on where you are or go, that can be a big concern, especially in a lighter trailer. But then again it sounds like you have a wide track.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I ran into this problem as well. Can't speak for Northern Tool, but Six Robblees gives three dimensions, width, circumference of the fender (not of the tire it's meant to fit), and the distance between the front and back across the bottom. I'm pretty sure this is the fender I went with: http://www.sixrobblees.com/products/det ... 391&n=f89u It measures 11" wide, 48" over the top, 33" from front edge to back edge. Here's a mockup with a roughly 32" tire (235 85R16)

Here's what it looked like in an early mockup:

I'm still working out the clearances and suspension travel before I set the final gap. I've got a long ways to go before I need to worry about that.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Any chance you can rig up a mount so that the fender is mounted to the axle and travels with the wheel? That might allow you to keep the clearance that you need to clear the wheel and not need quite such a large fender to clear the wheel at all points of travel for the wheel.

Just a thought.

Glen
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets