Semi-off-road frame/suspension

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: Semi-off-road frame/suspension

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 pm

KCStudly wrote:
Dave Nathanson wrote:I've torn up my trailer frame on the way to/from camp. Wasn't doing any significant wheeling, just driving on the washboards roads of Saline Valley California. Yes, the frame actually tore, right where the leaf spring hangers were welded to the frame.

In the pic of the spring hanger torn from the frame, I can't be sure but it looks like the hanger may have only been welded at the front and back of the hanger, and maybe not along the sides. If so, do you think that may have been a factor?

I'm curious about the driving conditions and typical rates of speed, too. Not especially scary vs. "dropping into 16 inch whoops" at what speed?

Not trying to be controversial, just trying to get a better feel for where the limits are. :thumbsup:

I would say 1/8th inch is probably a little thinner than I'd be comforable with for the spring perch area. If you build your frame from that I'd reinforce that section with a peice of thinker angle iron, so I had more weld area.

I've found that it helps to air down on washboard roads, and I try and keep the speed up a little bit, then you get less constant rattling, though you have to watch for the big dips!
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Air down - Check. :thumbsup:

I used 2x2 x 1/8 main rails, but I also used longer softer Jeep YJ springs with heavy Ruff Stuff hangers (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/springshackhang.html). Because they are bigger and beefier than the common trailer stuff, I hope they spread the loads out to where I don't have similar issues. Also, I don't think the Magruder has any serious whoops like the ones you guys see out in the desert. Sure, there may be some washouts, some ripples and boulders, but they are pretty good with maintenance from what I can tell.

Then again, you never know, I might end up making more trips out west to do some of the more hollowed trails. I'd love to do Imogene Pass.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm

KCStudly wrote:Air down - Check. :thumbsup:

I used 2x2 x 1/8 main rails, but I also used longer softer Jeep YJ springs with heavy Ruff Stuff hangers (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/springshackhang.html). Because they are bigger and beefier than the common trailer stuff, I hope they spread the loads out to where I don't have similar issues. Also, I don't think the Magruder has any serious whoops like the ones you guys see out in the desert. Sure, there may be some washouts, some ripples and boulders, but they are pretty good with maintenance from what I can tell.

Then again, you never know, I might end up making more trips out west to do some of the more hollowed trails. I'd love to do Imogene Pass.

I think how the perches are mounted could impact things as well. Welding at the ends as in the prior post is probably the most likely to cause problems, it appears the weld job made the area brittle as well.
Adding a plate that moved some of the stress to the sides of the 2x2 frame member, or bolting to the frame would also help spread the load. Softer springs might help as well.

Its a good idea to inspect the under carriage after each off road trip. Catching a crack before it becomes a hole makes for a happier trip.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets