New trailer build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: New trailer build

Postby SilverJKU » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 am

Camp4Life wrote:This looks amazing! Great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Couple question/comments though.

Did you end up adding shocks as well or is it not that bouncy? No shocks at the moment but it is a little bouncy empty. I'm waiting to see how it does with water, cooler, etc. loaded.
If it's not too late and you don't mind welding on your back, you should probably add some gussets if you're taking this offroad. It would be awful if your trailer's wood framing starting getting damaged from the trailer frame flexing. That spells water leaks :( I'm not sure where you are suggesting that I should put gussets?
As for electrical, don't use the trailer frame for a common ground, run ground wires to everything. Especially if you plan on adding AC electrical in the future. No AC power going in this one.

I hope mine turns out looking this nice! :applause:
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:24 am

SCwood wrote:Like your build! One question though - isn't that silver connector supposed to come off the window trim ring when you install it? Asking because I just got what look to be the same windows in the other day for my build.

I actually have no idea. My windows came with no instructions and that little silver piece looks like it holds the trim ring together. Anybody have clarification on if this should be removed?

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 am

SilverJKU wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:If it's not too late and you don't mind welding on your back, you should probably add some gussets if you're taking this offroad. It would be awful if your trailer's wood framing starting getting damaged from the trailer frame flexing. That spells water leaks :( I'm not sure where you are suggesting that I should put gussets?

I would put the gussets at all 4 corners of the outside frame to prevent lateral shearing. While under there, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few in the angles between the outer frame sides and the crossbeams.

Pardon the horribly cheap drawing, but here's what I mean. Your trailer frame in blue, and the gussets in red:

And this is what I'm talking about, just a triangle piece welded into the corners:

Now I'm just an amateur/hobby welder so this is just my 2 cents. But I do believe this will add a lot of resistance to lateral frame shearing/flexing and wobbling if you do hit some rough roads and will make it much more rigid. It also takes some load off of the welds so you're less likely to break one (god forbid!). I think it's worth adding the extra 2 lbs of weight for extra piece of mind :thumbsup:

The trailer frame I'm looking for, or might end up building, will also have an X underneath made out of angle that'll run from corner to opposite corner which should also prevent the frame bending/bowing, and also prevent twisting. But that's a whole 'nother level of being picky :lol:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby FredSB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:32 am

A lot of great builders on this site tons of great ideas
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby FredSB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:35 am

ARE you going to use the same tires and rims as you have on your Jeep
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:35 pm

SilverJKU wrote:
SCwood wrote:Like your build! One question though - isn't that silver connector supposed to come off the window trim ring when you install it? Asking because I just got what look to be the same windows in the other day for my build.

I actually have no idea. My windows came with no instructions and that little silver piece looks like it holds the trim ring together. Anybody have clarification on if this should be removed?

It definitely holds the ring together, but I thought maybe that was just for shipping/fitting purposes so it doesn't bend out of shape. I mean if the trim ring is black, why would it have a permanent silver connector? And it's not that thin either. It seems like it'd make the ring sit off the wall about 1/16". My windows didn't come with instructions either, so in the interest of science I pried the connector off one of my trim rings tonight. I put down some painters tape to try and protect it but you can see that the screwdriver still marred the ring a little. And the connector had already made its mark, too. I'm thinking with a little paint and some sanding I might be able to get it back to an acceptable place and be able to leave the connector off. With 20 or so screws around the trim ring to hold it in place what does the connector really add?

SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:41 am

SCwood wrote:
SilverJKU wrote:

It definitely holds the ring together, but I thought maybe that was just for shipping/fitting purposes so it doesn't bend out of shape. I mean if the trim ring is black, why would it have a permanent silver connector? And it's not that thin either. It seems like it'd make the ring sit off the wall about 1/16". My windows didn't come with instructions either, so in the interest of science I pried the connector off one of my trim rings tonight. I put down some painters tape to try and protect it but you can see that the screwdriver still marred the ring a little. And the connector had already made its mark, too. I'm thinking with a little paint and some sanding I might be able to get it back to an acceptable place and be able to leave the connector off. With 20 or so screws around the trim ring to hold it in place what does the connector really add?

I recall my dad's 1988 RV having those silver things on all the windows. He bought it like that and never removed them. I was young and never questioned it(didn't know any better), but they were definitely there. Might be better to leave them and paint them flat black? :thinking:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby SCwood » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Camp4Life wrote:
SCwood wrote:
SilverJKU wrote:

I recall my dad's 1988 RV having those silver things on all the windows. He bought it like that and never removed them. I was young and never questioned it(didn't know any better), but they were definitely there. Might be better to leave them and paint them flat black? :thinking:

Yeah, black paint may be the way to go, but now that I'm invested I think it's worth a shot at trying to go connector-less! I'll give it a try and report back.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SilverJKU » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:41 pm

FredSB wrote:ARE you going to use the same tires and rims as you have on your Jeep

Nope, using the ones that are on the trailer currently. I had them laying around and they're a common size so I'll just stick to them. If I build another one I'll look at maybe matching the 37s. I kind of built this one to tow behind mine (4.5" lift with 37s) or the wife's (3" lift with 33s) so the the 33s on it were the logical choice - did also mention they were free. :D
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Camp4Life wrote:
SilverJKU wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:If it's not too late and you don't mind welding on your back, you should probably add some gussets if you're taking this offroad. It would be awful if your trailer's wood framing starting getting damaged from the trailer frame flexing. That spells water leaks :( I'm not sure where you are suggesting that I should put gussets?

I would put the gussets at all 4 corners of the outside frame to prevent lateral shearing. While under there, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few in the angles between the outer frame sides and the crossbeams.

Pardon the horribly cheap drawing, but here's what I mean. Your trailer frame in blue, and the gussets in red:

And this is what I'm talking about, just a triangle piece welded into the corners:

Now I'm just an amateur/hobby welder so this is just my 2 cents. But I do believe this will add a lot of resistance to lateral frame shearing/flexing and wobbling if you do hit some rough roads and will make it much more rigid. It also takes some load off of the welds so you're less likely to break one (god forbid!). I think it's worth adding the extra 2 lbs of weight for extra piece of mind :thumbsup:

The trailer frame I'm looking for, or might end up building, will also have an X underneath made out of angle that'll run from corner to opposite corner which should also prevent the frame bending/bowing, and also prevent twisting. But that's a whole 'nother level of being picky :lol:

I kind of figured that is what you meant but I thought I'd get clarification. I would have a tough time doing those down the drivers side because all my wiring is run on the inside edge of that frame rail so I'd have to pull it all out to gusset those areas. I'll see how things go as is and re-assess if any problems become evident. Thanks for the insight though. :thumbsup:
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby FredSB » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:37 am

Free is very good!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:45 pm

The A-frame tongue adds all the gusseting needed. Everything else is just along for the ride. Using several smaller fasteners to attach box to frame ties it all together as a unit.

Usually the leveler gussets or mounting plates at the rear will also add their own triangular reinforcing.

For a 2x2 tube frame I don't see a problem omitting extra gussets. The suspension will flex but a tightly built box should hold up well to most abuse.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GeneralChingon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 am

I love what you have done, and plan on doing a similar trailer as well... what are the dimensions of the bed ?
GeneralChingon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SilverJKU » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:20 pm

GeneralChingon wrote:I love what you have done, and plan on doing a similar trailer as well... what are the dimensions of the bed ?

Thanks for the compliment. The bed is just under a full queen size - roughly 58"x78" if I remember correctly. Just right for the wife and I. We actually took it for it's first test this weekend and it was pretty good. We have to relearn how to pack a cooler as we've been spoiled with an actual fridge in our pop up truck camper. I also need to find a way to try and cancel some of the tinny sound of the fenders when there are massive rain drops hitting them in the middle of the night. LOL!!
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby GeneralChingon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 pm

SilverJKU wrote:
GeneralChingon wrote:I love what you have done, and plan on doing a similar trailer as well... what are the dimensions of the bed ?

Thanks for the compliment. The bed is just under a full queen size - roughly 58"x78" if I remember correctly. Just right for the wife and I. We actually took it for it's first test this weekend and it was pretty good. We have to relearn how to pack a cooler as we've been spoiled with an actual fridge in our pop up truck camper. I also need to find a way to try and cancel some of the tinny sound of the fenders when there are massive rain drops hitting them in the middle of the night. LOL!!

Put some bed liner on them, both sides. That should quiet them down.
GeneralChingon
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets