First Trailer Build - Design Phase

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: First Trailer Build - Design Phase

Postby JCDriller » Sat May 28, 2016 12:37 am

One more showing how the bed and floor of the push out work, it's very simple. There will be a 1" metal lip on the rear and the drivers side of the pop out. Piano hinge in the middle. I moved the kitchenette while making the .gif, it won't move on the trailer.

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Nice illustration. :thumbsup:

I would argue that there is nothing simply about what you are proposing, but more power to ya'. It will certainly be interesting to see it come together.

The side entrance door looks short to me, especially with the steps it looks like your intent is to walk up and in. With the steps it doesn't look convenient to crawl in head first, nor to step up, turn around and do the "sit and spin".

Those slanted facets on the sides take a lot of the "easy" out of the build. :frightened:

I'm not trying to be ultra critical, it's just that it is this stage of the design where you want to figure out as much as you can; better to work out the functionality/practicality details now.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Mon May 30, 2016 1:08 am

Unfortunately it looks like i'm scrapping this design, I just can't get the weight down where it needs to be to tow with my JKU. I'm exploring building a trailer similar to the Austrailian Patriot Camper XR1 trailer with a RTT or something like a Moby1 Teardrop. Just need to decide which route to take...
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby titanpat57 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:06 am

I think I like the first layout better. Once you start dealing with interior and exterior finishing on all those angles...it'll eat up a tremendous amount of time. Another thing I'm concerned about is the tongue /frame design. It seems to be the latest rage building a trailer without having a supported "A " frame at the bottom, but I see it as potential area to cause problems later. No idea if your a big guy or not, but I think crawling through a small door like that will be a pain after a while.

I think you're on to something with the design. I have one similar, except the sleeping pod comes out the side, and it's a rear entry with a pop top, all hard sided. The dinette would fold down to sleep one, and the pod sleeps two. The pull out kitchen and fridge would be accessed from inside as well, albeit a bit low. I'm close, but think I can fit a cassette toilet in the rear next to the door.

I hope you keep refining it...great work on SU....looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 31, 2016 12:58 am

Thanks, I'm not sure I can build it and keep the weight under control. The Slide out is pretty heavy and puts a lot of torque on the overall design. If I had truck to tow it with no problem, but it would likely exceed my 3500 lb tow rating. Today I completed another design based off a modified Austrailian Patriot Camper, basically I added a linear actuator lifted roof rack and a hard sided camper top. I really like this design and think I'll keep messing with this one. It moves all the kitchen and everything outside, but this seems like a better fit for my JKU. Size is 5x8 and ~4' tall when collapsed. Interior of the pop up is 43" above a 3" mattress so I can sit up and easily fits a queen size mattress. 100% aluminum outside the frame.

Tomorrows task is to figure its weight. I'd like to keep it as close to 1500-2000lbs dry as possible, we'll see.

Patriot Campers: http://www.patriotcampers.com.au/patriot-x1-off-road-camper-trailer/

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue May 31, 2016 7:53 am

You might want to look at Kimberly Karavans http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/ if you have not already, very similar to a couple of your designs. I have a shower point and gas point from http://www.bullfinch-gas.co.uk/outdoor-utility-points vastly superior to anything I have seen here in the US.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 31, 2016 9:11 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:You might want to look at Kimberly Karavans http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/ if you have not already, very similar to a couple of your designs. I have a shower point and gas point from http://www.bullfinch-gas.co.uk/outdoor-utility-points vastly superior to anything I have seen here in the US.

Never seen the KImberly karavans before, looks crazy similar!
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 31, 2016 11:28 pm

titanpat57 wrote:I think I like the first layout better. Once you start dealing with interior and exterior finishing on all those angles...it'll eat up a tremendous amount of time. Another thing I'm concerned about is the tongue /frame design. It seems to be the latest rage building a trailer without having a supported "A " frame at the bottom, but I see it as potential area to cause problems later. No idea if your a big guy or not, but I think crawling through a small door like that will be a pain after a while.

I think you're on to something with the design. I have one similar, except the sleeping pod comes out the side, and it's a rear entry with a pop top, all hard sided. The dinette would fold down to sleep one, and the pod sleeps two. The pull out kitchen and fridge would be accessed from inside as well, albeit a bit low. I'm close, but think I can fit a cassette toilet in the rear next to the door.

I hope you keep refining it...great work on SU....looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for the heads up on the frame, I did my research and modified it per your recommendation.

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:34 am

Very nice animation. And design work. Looks great.

Your entry appears to be by climbing over a propane tank. I think it might be good to climb on the side or rear where nothing is specifically in the way of the ladder. Think dark, rainy night and you want to get in or out.

Same on the ladder, it might be better if it want down closer to the ground. A fall from 4' will hurt. A hand hold might be nice. The ladder is vertical.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:57 am

I've figured out that if I stagger my side walls I can gain a few inches as each side wall can almost be as tall as the trailer is wide. The limiting factor is for water tightness I don't want to stagger my front a rear pop up panels. After this modification I get about 56" of vertical roof height ontop of my 2.5" foam mattress, have 2.5" of space above the mattress when the pop up is folded to accommodate bedding and still only add a total of 8" of vertical height to my trailer with the pop up design.

My current hang up is I was hoping to have a functioning roof rack on the trailer, integrated with the pop ups ceiling. I planned on using 4 linear actuators to lift the top straight up allowing me to open the sides while still supporting a reasonable roof rack load such as a canoe or kayaks, maybe a roof top tent. Now that I've achieved the taller roof line my pop up exceeds the height of my trailer body so the linear actuator is no longer possible as it doesn't have enough vertical height to compress without hanging below the bottom of the trailer frame.

My trailer body is 39" tall, the actuator must be able to lift the rack up to 44" minimum. I'll need to do more research to figure out a mechanism, anyone have any ideas?
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets