Disabled Teardrop Enthusiast Needs Help

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Disabled Teardrop Enthusiast Needs Help

Postby Phletch94 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi all, I’m Phletch, 44 and have a spinal cord injury. I’ve found that teardrops are so perfect because of the door width and ease of use for someone with my kind of disability. For obvious reasons, I cannot build one alone, so I’d like a little help from the community. I’m on a social security budget, but I am in the market for a used trailer or in information pertaining to finding an interesting way of building one.
Thanks for the time and consideration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phletch94
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Disabled Teardrop Enthusiast Needs Help

Postby Squigie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am

Where are you located? And how and where do you intend to use the trailer?
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Squigie wrote:Where are you located?

I will second that!

No thanks to a texting driver my wife & I struggle with the same circumstances.
I am 6'6 and don't bend or twist & have a very light weight limit therefore my needs dont fit the standard TD due to the low access point in the back and a queen bed will be tight, so opted to make a square back 5+X10 trying to design the galley, I wish it was 11' :lol:
Your post is in the offroad construction; oregontrailer is close to home for me That is a style that appeals to me, but my problems leave me no interest in real off road, but I would like to stand behind one in person just to check the fit.
Idea of any special needs you have in mind and the area your in could be very helpful :thumbsup:

Gimpy as I am I may be some help if your close.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Don't know if you are looking for ideas but...

There was a guy at a campground that we met. He had a cargo trailer/toy hauler conversion. Had a power winch with a wifi connection, used his phone to lower the back end and roll up with his chair. Side door opened to a swing out kitchen, had everything he needed. I don't think it was custom built as he kept saying "I did this for x reason" and "this took research" so it was home built. I must say I was impressed at the improvisation.

I don't know if he did all the work but I don't believe he did it by his self. Might want to brain storm ideas with the good people here and work toward a solution that will work.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:19 am

Phletch94 wrote:Hi all, I’m Phletch, 44 and have a spinal cord injury. I’ve found that teardrops are so perfect because of the door width and ease of use for someone with my kind of disability. For obvious reasons, I cannot build one alone, so I’d like a little help from the community. I’m on a social security budget, but I am in the market for a used trailer or in information pertaining to finding an interesting way of building one.
Thanks for the time and consideration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another inquiry for where are you located, and how do you plan on using the camper?

You are FAR from the only one here with back issues, due to an inattentive driver long pre smart phones, I have similar but maybe not exactly the same issues. I can not bend down and arch my back the way a teardrop would require, nor would a queen bed be acceptable for my wife and I for anything beyond a quick weekend. When we do tent camp, we use 2 twins, which are roughly the size of a king mattress and are comfortable and well supported.

My project is still well in the planning stages as I am VERY carefully designing the build to accomodate my back issues, as well as weight issues.

I think it might not be a bad idea for even if it was 4 or 5 folks with back issues, getting together may actually be able to get the job done Amish style...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:52 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:My project is still well in the planning stages as I am VERY carefully designing the build to accomodate my back issues, as well as weight issues.

I am sorry, I have to ask - is that you with the weight issues, or the trailer? :lol:

I have a crook back, too, a result of youthful bravado - "Yeah I can lift that, see?" resulted in a life time of putting up with bulging disks pressing on nerves.
The search for the right mattress for the teardrop was tricky, coz as well as requiring the right support for my spine, I got weight issues too. I'd be the perfect weight if I was 6' 6", but I'm only 6'.
Rear access to the sleeping compartment and a slide out kitchen looks like the best option for some of us.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets