Hello to all! We need help with the trailer size/type

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello to all! We need help with the trailer size/type

Postby Paintedpat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello y'all, my name is Patrick and my girlfriend and I hail from Sacramento, California. We are currently in the research/blueprint phase of our first teardrop build right now and could use all the help we can get. A little about us, we are in our mid and late twenties, are into sustainability/the environment, are outdoor enthusiasts, and are into action sports; I only see our passion for all of the above getting stronger once this build is done and we are off adventuring. The basic concept we strive for simplicity, basic comfort, and sustainability; with that in mind, we are in need of immediate assistance: we want a king sized bed in the trailer, because we will be most likely sleeping with the dogs, and I need to know if anybody has any advice as to what size trailer to use. We will be pulling this behind my Tacoma so I plan on building this trailer on top of an off-road trailer if possible. Any suggestions for the trailer size/type?

Cheers

-Patrick and Kristine
Paintedpat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello to all! We need help with the trailer size/type

Postby KennethW » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Have you considered a bunk the the dogs? :thinking:
116476 click to enlarge
A bed in a teardrop is more useable in to the fact that you can sleep by the wall and not fall out. On a regular bed if you sleep on the edge you will fallout. :?
If you like to cook. You will love cooking out doors in the back of your teardrop(no set up or tear down) If you can make the hatch cover you if it rains. Just my opinions.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Paintedpat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:02 pm

We are definitely thinking about doing the bunk bed thing for the pups but still would like to put a king sized mattress if possible. If not, no worries.
Paintedpat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:48 pm

A King sized sleeping area could be a bit too much but a Queen works out very well for most. You'll get more for your money and weight allowance if you go long rather than wide. Building to include a King sized mattress could make the trailer too heavy for your tow vehicle. Also, anything wider than the tow vehicle's path will cause wind resistance and lower your gas mileage more. Something in the area of 5' wide seems to track well behind most tow vehicles. Although you could go with a 5x8' chassis, for a true Queen sized mattress, you'll probably want to use a 5x10' chassis so that you have comfort room for the mattress as well as the galley. That should also give you enough room for a small over-feet bunk. When you're deciding on the size of your cabin, remember to allow at least a 1" wall thickness on each side. The front and back depend largely upon how you design your build.

http://www.mattresssizes.info/Mattress_ ... Chart.html

The bunk bed idea is good because eventually, you'll probably have some two-legged little ones that come along.

PS. Welcome to the forum!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves